Replication Performance Collection guidelines RRS feed

• Question

• I've inherited a unique situation in that we have a "production" SCOM implemented but we are trying to go back and resolve our lack of planning and organization in its deployment while also creating a development environment as a place to implement into production from.

My questions centers around the AD Management Pack.  I'm working my way through the MP guide and I have questions about the repliation performance collection.  The guide warns that depending on the number of controllers in your environment, gathering data for all objects might affect system performance.  It then states "To reduce the likelihood of affecting system performance, choose only the Source and TArget domain controllers for which you want to carefully monitor replication."  

My first question is ... we have 15 domain controllers split between 3 domains within the forest.  Is that going to affect system performance if we gather for all objects?  My second question would be if I'm going to pare this down to a subset of dc's what is the thinking behind selecting the source and target dc's?

When I look in production under the "AD Replication Monitoring Performance Collection (Sources) Properties" for the Overrides, I see some overrides listed but none of them are enforced so it appears as though no overrides are in place.  Am I reading that correctly?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts about this.

SJJ

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Here are my opinions:

1.    Based on my research, I think the performance would be affected due to the amount of data.

2.    Regarding your second question, how to select the source and target depends on your Active Directory replication topology.

How Active Directory Replication Topology Works

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755994(WS.10).aspx

3.    To enable the rules with overrides, please also refer to the section “Configuring Overrides to Enable Replication Monitoring Performance Collection” in the following document:

Collecting Replication Performance Data

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662305.aspx

Meanwhile, I would like to share this articles with you:

Configuring or Disabling Replication Monitoring in the Active directory Management pack

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jimmyharper/archive/2009/05/20/configuring-or-disabling-replication-monitoring-in-the-active-directory-management-pack.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, August 20, 2010 9:46 AM
    Friday, August 6, 2010 8:51 AM
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll have to spend some time digging into the Replication Topology document.  I went through the Configuring or Disabling Replication Monitoring ... that was helpful.  I appreciate the links.  What I'm finding is that each thing leads to a series of new questions.  :-)

- SJJ

Monday, August 9, 2010 8:41 PM