Disable Libraries/Favourites in Open/Save dialog for RDS users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to disable the 2008R2 Libraries and Favourites feature showing up in the Open/Save dialog boxes within a RemoteApp application. I've tried all the reg hacks google has suggested, and they work within a full RDS desktop, but as soon as you go to save something in RemoteApp the users receive Libraries & Favourites.

I've tried a bunch of reg fixes - here are just a few so I don't get responses rehashing applied changes:

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/05/hide-pre-populated-items-in-windows-explorers-sidebar/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LifehackerAustralia+%28Lifehacker+Australia%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/05/how-to-disable-and-remove-libraries-from-windows-7-explorer/

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-libraries-feature-in-windows-7/

In the end, all I want my users to see is the mapped drives. This MUST be an issue affecting heaps of people as the same thing will crop up with any Citrix build on R2. There is absolutely NO need for Libraries within a Citrix/RDS environment.

Thanks,

Matt Shadbolt.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:52 AM

All replies

• I don't know if I understood your requirements right. You can disable access to folders/files through AppLocker (secpol.msc). You can create a new rule till the Wfolder path. So, you can allow access except for users (from which you are launching remote app). When user who does not have permission try to launch a RemoteApp, as you don't have rights on these folders you will not be able to access these and will get an Access Denied error.

Note: But this will disable those users' access for local session also.

Thanks,

Shagun

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:17 AM
  • Hi Shagun,

No you haven't understood the requirements. I have an RDS farm that I'm publishing a RemoteApp with. When users open the RemoteApp and go to save a file they get the standard Open/Save dialog box, which in the folders pane to the left shows Libraries, Favourites, Computer & Network. There is a GPO that allows me to hide the Network but no such setting to hide the Libraries and Favourites.

I NEED to hide the Libraries and Favourites from the end users. This is required as a) I don't want users saving files to the Desktop (I know I can lock permissions with folder redirection but I don't want to) b) I don't want users saving to their My Documents (they should only save to available mapped drives) c) I don't want them creating Favourite locations (as Im pretty sure these dont roam with roaming profiles) d) I don't want them to be able to create new Libraries.

Thanks,

Matt,

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Hello Matt,

Based on my experience, I am afraid we don’t have a method to hide the Libraries and Favorites just for RemoteApp Users. Instead, if you hide them, they will not appear in all scenarios of Windows Explorer.

The following thread has some discussion on the registry solution:

How to hide or disable Favorites, Library in explorer

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2rds/thread/adaa4da9-2d5e-43dd-aeaf-ef1d93c653bb

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Lionel Chen

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:41 AM
  • Lionel,

I'm asking is there a way to hide the Libraries from the Save/Open dialog box within an application? This *isn't* a RemoteApp issue - it is just affecting an application I am publishing with RemoteApp. I can hide the libraries within Explorer using reg hacks - but they aren't hidden within applications.

How has this been over looked by MS? Surely there should be a group policy setting to disable Libraries? How about XenApp engineers?

Matt.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 12:10 PM
  • This should work. Feel free to try the tool provided at the end of the blog post.
    http://www.s-inn.de/blog/post/remove-Libraries-Favorites-in-windows-explorer-navigation-pane.aspx

Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:56 PM
  • great provide /thx /agree to add this to windows features
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Did you ever solve this? I'm trying to do the same thing and are experiencing the same issues you have outlined above.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:44 AM
  • Any luck with this?  I'm in the EXACT same position!
    Friday, August 12, 2011 6:39 PM
  • Hi

This have been tested on test enviroment for Xenapp6 with success.  W2008 R2 (x64) and W7 (x64)

How to remove/hide Favorites: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-favorites-from-windows-7-explorers-navigation-pane/
    How to remove/hide Libraries: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-libraries-from-windows-7-explorers-navigation-pane/
    How to remove/hide Network: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-network-from-windows-7-explorers-navigation-pane/

It includes changing in registry so take care. Always backup registry before testing!

Friday, September 2, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Bump, same issue. The registry hacks provided work when run explorer or directly access the shell but for some reason not in save-as/open dialogs.

Local vs TS is not an issue, I tested the issue on both and it's the same. If you can get them to go away on a save-as/open dialog you should have fixed the issue.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:13 PM
  • If your terminal server is 64 bit OS then depending on the 32/64 bit version of the published application you need to change a different key. This is applicable to Citrix, Remoteapp, 2X application server. 

; make sure to open registry and assign full control permission to Shell folder under each key

; *******************************for 32 bit apps*******************************

; This will hide Favorites from the explorer windows for 32bit applications that are running a 64 bit machine

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder]
    "Attributes"=dword:a9400100
    "PinToNameSpaceTree"=""

; This will hide Libraries from the explorer windows for 32bit applications that are running a 64 bit machine

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder]
    "QueryForOverlay"=""
    "HideOnDesktopPerUser"=""
    "PinToNameSpaceTree"=""
    "Attributes"=dword:b090010d

; This will hide Network from the explorer windows for 32bit applications that are running a 64 bit machine

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\ShellFolder]
    "Attributes"=dword:b0940064
    "MapNetDriveVerbs"=""
    "PinToNameSpaceTree"=""

; *******************************for 64 bit apps*******************************

; This will hide Favorites from the explorer windows for 64bit applications that are running a 64 bit machine

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder]
    "Attributes"=dword:a9400100
    "PinToNameSpaceTree"=""

; This will hide Libraries from the explorer windows for 64bit applications that are running a 64 bit machine

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder]
    "QueryForOverlay"=""
    "PinToNameSpaceTree"=""
    "Attributes"=dword:b090010d

; This will hide Network from the explorer windows for 64bit applications that are running a 64 bit machine

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\ShellFolder]
    "Attributes"=dword:b0940064
    "MapNetDriveVerbs"=""
    "PinToNameSpaceTree"=""

• Proposed as answer by Nick Druce Friday, May 4, 2012 5:12 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Siavash Irani's post fixed the problem for me.  I had already implemented the 64 bit registry changes but this did the trick for all those 32 bit apps on my server.

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Hi Matt,

I have exactly the same need as you. 

I know this is an old thread, but did you find a way to only see mapped drive in dialog box ?

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Mathieu

Thursday, February 22, 2018 10:43 AM
  • First off thanks for sharing this info. (you have 32bit and 64bit reg info reversed; no biggie)

I have applied this 32bit and 64bit reg changes to a Server 2016 RDS and is not working.
    Does anyone have more information on how to accomplish this and also hide the save paths on 2016?
    Like most others we are using RemoteApps and these save locations are going to cause major issues.
    [ie: after saving to their "desktop" they will not have access to the file.]

MS has seriously dropped the ball here. *derp*

- Bob

Wednesday, August 19, 2020 2:19 PM