Cannot un-pause Search Service Application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

We have a SP2013 farm that is having some issues with backup (i.e. Backup-SPFarm).  The log had the following error:

Fatal Error: Object Search Service Application failed in event OnBackup.  For more information, see the spbackup.log or sprestore.log file located in the backup directory.
              InvalidOperationException: Failed to set request to pause search application

In trying to get it running, the error has changed slightly:

FatalError: Object Search Service Application failed in event OnPrepareBackup. For more information, see the spbackup.log or sprestore.log file located in the backup directory.
    	InvalidOperationException: State 'Backup' can't be set due to current application state 'Backup'.

I have searched and found numerous posts about how to reset/rebuild the Search Index, many of which have you manually delete files from a couple different locations.  However, my problem seems to be hinged on the fact that I cannot un-pause the Search Service Application.

$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication “Search Service Application”
    $ssa.resume()

This command returns false.

$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication “Search Service Application”
    $ssa.ForceResume($ssa.IsPaused())

This also returns false.

The Microsoft Docs page about managing a paused Search Service (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/SharePoint/search/manage-a-paused-search-service-application) indicates:

($ssa.IsPaused() -band 0x80) -ne 0
    True

($ssa.IsPaused() -band 0x100) -ne 0
    True

Which, according to the MS page, means that Index is being deleted and the service is paused by an administrator.  I am relatively certain that I was the one who paused it, and the "index being deleted" status has been that way for hours (probably 6 at this point).

Going to the Search Service Application administration page, the status show "Paused for: External Request, Index Reset", which is consistent with the above PowerShell results.  But I am unable to get it to un-pause, no matter what I do.

Some posts say that if you can't un-pause it, to run the reset anyhow:

$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication
    $ssa.Reset($true,$true)

This just simply hangs.  I have let it go for multiple hours without it ever finishing.  It is a fairly small index with ~35,000 items (if I recall correctly); smaller than another farm we have (with 53,000 items) which only take 5-10 minutes to reset the index (with equally powered VMs in both farms).

I have rebooted, stopped and restarted the Search Host & Timer services, followed instructions from numerous posts where files are manually deleted, but nothing has worked so far.  I'm not sure how to proceed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Update:  I tried a "Configuration Only" backup (i.e. Backup-SPFarm -ConfigurationOnly) and it worked.  We also have a SQL backup that runs daily which includes all of the SharePoint databases.  So, we are somewhat safe in the Backup regards.  But I do need to get the Search working again.

• Edited by Mighty Monarch Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:40 PM Info Update
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:51 PM

Answers

• So, we finally resolved the issue.

We were going to delete and re-create the search service application.  We have a test environment and thought that we would test creating a second SSA before deleting the first, so that we could confirm that all the settings were right and it was functioning before deleting this old one.  Worked fine in test, but wouldn't add Live; it simply timed out trying to create it.

So, we started doing some digging and came across post discussing the instance status:

Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceInstance -Local

TypeName    : SharePoint Server Search
    Description : Index content and serve search queries
    Id          : 9a59e3dd-67c6-463b-85af-cdd20be211ac
    Server      : SPServer Name=SPSERVER01
    Service     : SearchService Name=OSearch15
    Role        : None
    Status      : Provisioning

We discovered that our Instance was in status "Provisioning" instead of "Online".  A quick search found this article:  https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d8cbe935-f601-4575-8aba-84f2190f85c7/sharepoint-2013-server-search-status-stuck-on-8220provisioning8221?forum=sharepointsearch, which fixed the issue.

The key was this:

$value = Get-SPServiceInstance -Identity 9a59e3dd-67c6-463b-85af-cdd20be211ac
    $value.provision()
    $value.update()

This allowed the service to be un-paused, the index properly reset and re-crawled. 

How it got into a "Provisioning" state, I am not sure.  We had installed updates last week and ran PSCONFIG, but everything seemed okay.  It wasn't until we noted that the backups weren't running correctly that we found the issue.

Anyhow, all good now.

Thanks,

Eric

• Edited by Mighty Monarch Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:30 AM spelling
    • Marked as answer by Mighty Monarch Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:32 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Monarch,

Can you give a try the below post,

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/blogs/sharepoint-search-administrative-paused-for-external-request

Thivagar Segar

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:09 PM
  • Hi Monarch,

Can you give a try the below post,

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/blogs/sharepoint-search-administrative-paused-for-external-request

Thivagar Segar

I have already tried this (different post, but same process).  It rebuilds all of the XML files in the directory, but the Search Service still won't un-pause.

Eric

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:37 PM
  • Hi Mighty,

For your issue, try to delete the existing search service application and recreate the search service application.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:54 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the suggestion.  That was our "worst case scenario" solution.  We just weren't sure if it could be deleted while in a paused and index reset state.

However, on a good note, as of about 20 minutes ago the admin page shows only "Paused for: External Request".  The "Index reset" seems to have finally ended after nearly 24 hours.  I'm hoping that it will now un-pause, re-crawl and not cause errors with the backup. If not, the deleting and recreating is our next step.

Thanks again.

Eric

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 9:04 AM
  • So, we finally resolved the issue.

We were going to delete and re-create the search service application.  We have a test environment and thought that we would test creating a second SSA before deleting the first, so that we could confirm that all the settings were right and it was functioning before deleting this old one.  Worked fine in test, but wouldn't add Live; it simply timed out trying to create it.

So, we started doing some digging and came across post discussing the instance status:

Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceInstance -Local

TypeName    : SharePoint Server Search
    Description : Index content and serve search queries
    Id          : 9a59e3dd-67c6-463b-85af-cdd20be211ac
    Server      : SPServer Name=SPSERVER01
    Service     : SearchService Name=OSearch15
    Role        : None
    Status      : Provisioning

We discovered that our Instance was in status "Provisioning" instead of "Online".  A quick search found this article:  https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d8cbe935-f601-4575-8aba-84f2190f85c7/sharepoint-2013-server-search-status-stuck-on-8220provisioning8221?forum=sharepointsearch, which fixed the issue.

The key was this:

$value = Get-SPServiceInstance -Identity 9a59e3dd-67c6-463b-85af-cdd20be211ac
    $value.provision()
    $value.update()

This allowed the service to be un-paused, the index properly reset and re-crawled. 

How it got into a "Provisioning" state, I am not sure.  We had installed updates last week and ran PSCONFIG, but everything seemed okay.  It wasn't until we noted that the backups weren't running correctly that we found the issue.

Anyhow, all good now.

Thanks,

Eric

• Edited by Mighty Monarch Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:30 AM spelling
    • Marked as answer by Mighty Monarch Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:32 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:26 AM
  • Yes! You made my day mate, thank you very much! Cheers!
    Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:28 PM