Pin to Start Menu doesn't work for scripts/.bat .ink's? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    Trying to pin a shortcut link to a .bat script and it doesn't provide the option and when I put the .ink in the actual folder c:\user\...start menu (hidden pin-to directory) it doesn't display even after reboot. Why is Windows 7 blocking a .ink that isn't to an .exe? Anyone have a fix/work-around? I would really like this to pin to my start menu. I also have tried pinning to the taskbar, same issue.

Thanks!
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:44 PM

Answers

• You can add your own on Right: right click on the toolbar, selecting Toolbars->New toolbar...
    I make my own toolbar to the right of where pinned items go. Here for example, I have a network connections shortcut which allows enable, disable, and status; a shortcut to personal resetinet.bat, a shortcut to delete items in \Temp; another to pass clipboard PrtScn through Paint to desktop Picture(x).jpg, shortcut to Scrabble game and so on. Can put whatever is pinned to Taskbar here instead if I wish or  can leave it there or can leave it pinned to the Start Menu.
    Currently have 7 items pinned to Taskbar and 8 items im MyToolbar. Nothing cluttering Desktop
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Monday, November 16, 2009 6:31 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:08 PM

All replies

• I just added a link to a .bat file in Startup (had to Take Ownership first), rebooted and the bat file launched as expected. Checked and it was still there in Startup.
    Rich
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 12:29 AM
  • Adding a link...not an issue.

Pinning to recent or taskbar = the issue.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 2:20 AM
  • I was responding to this part of your initial post:

and when I put the .ink in the actual folder c:\user\...start menu (hidden pin-to directory) it doesn't display even after reboot.

Agree, batch file does not have a Pin to xxxx selection for me either.

Rich
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:36 AM

• You can add your own on Right: right click on the toolbar, selecting Toolbars->New toolbar...
    I make my own toolbar to the right of where pinned items go. Here for example, I have a network connections shortcut which allows enable, disable, and status; a shortcut to personal resetinet.bat, a shortcut to delete items in \Temp; another to pass clipboard PrtScn through Paint to desktop Picture(x).jpg, shortcut to Scrabble game and so on. Can put whatever is pinned to Taskbar here instead if I wish or  can leave it there or can leave it pinned to the Start Menu.
    Currently have 7 items pinned to Taskbar and 8 items im MyToolbar. Nothing cluttering Desktop
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Monday, November 16, 2009 6:31 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:08 PM
  • create a shortcut on the desktop then drag that shortcut down to the start button then up to where you'd like on the start menu. 

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:01 PM