Cannot Delete Software Package RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I tried to delete an old software package, but this exception occured. The folder and the file exists. How to delete this package?

Date: 4/16/2009 12:15:36 PM
    Application: System Center Essentials
    Application Version: 6.0.1885.0
    Severity: Error
    Message: Verification of file signature failed for file: \\MyServer\UpdateServicesPackages\d178936e-4687-498f-aaaf-d6e929815291\2b897536-396b-42f9-a530-f44bb8900a7e_1.cab

System.InvalidOperationException: Verification of file signature failed for file: \\V1S003\UpdateServicesPackages\d178936e-4687-498f-aaaf-d6e929815291\2b897536-396b-42f9-a530-f44bb8900a7e_1.cab
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.VerifyAndPublishPackage()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.RevisePackage()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Update.ExpirePackage()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.SCE.Internal.UI.SoftwarePackagesView.DeletePackageProgressForm.DeleteItemsBackgroundWorkerDoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

Regards.

odo
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:31 PM

All replies

• Hi odo,

Please run "regedit" on your SCE server, check the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\WindowsUpdate

Make sure WUServer and WUStatusServer has been pointed to SCE server itself.

Also, open ADUC on your DC, make sure SCE server is the member of SCE Managed Computers group
    • Marked as answer by odo Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:24 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by odo Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:25 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:11 AM
  • Hi,

both keys point to my server and the server is also member of the sce managed computers group.

If I create a new package, then I can it delete. But the other package I want to delete is a very old one.

Regards
    odo
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:14 PM
  • Hey i have the same problem!

I can't delete any package!

Regardas Andy

*** Edit ***

I can delete the Package - but if i refesh the view - i is back again an then the error appears.
    Anyone a solution?

Regards Andy
    Monday, May 4, 2009 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

Please open WSUS console and un "Server clanup wizard", then try to delete the software package again
    • Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by odo Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:10 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

I started the Cleanup Wizard, but the software package can not deleted.

Date: 5/14/2009 3:49:04 PM
    Message: Verification of file signature failed for file: \\MyServer\UpdateServicesPackages\25d31e4f-d74e-4ff8-88a4-fa14268b43e8\a32838e0-f6b4-48fc-b6b8-0d1d7cf157bd_1.cab

System.InvalidOperationException: Verification of file signature failed for file: \\MyServer\UpdateServicesPackages\25d31e4f-d74e-4ff8-88a4-fa14268b43e8\a32838e0-f6b4-48fc-b6b8-0d1d7cf157bd_1.cab
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.VerifyAndPublishPackage()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.RevisePackage()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.SCE.Internal.UI.SoftwarePackagesView.DeletePackageProgressForm.DeleteItemsBackgroundWorkerDoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

Regards

odo
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Hi,

is it possible to delete the package manually? I could delete the files from the storage and delete rows in the sce database. Any suggestions?

Regards
    odo
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Hi odo,

Please perform the following steps on you SCE server:

1 Click Start, click Run, type MMC in the text box, and then click OK to open the Microsoft Management Console (MMC). on the Managment Server

2. Click File, click Add/Remove Snap-in, click Add, click Certificates, click Add, select Computer account, and then click Next.

3 click Close, and then click OK.

4. Expand Certificates expand WSUS, and then click Certificates.

5. In the results pane, right-click the desired certificate, click All Tasks, and then click Export.

6. In the Certificate Export Wizard, use the default settings to create an export file with the name and location specified in the wizard. This file must be
    available before proceeding to the next step.

7. Right-click Trusted Publishers, click All Tasks, and then click Import. Complete the Certificate Import Wizard using the exported file from step 6.

8. If a self-signed certificate is used, such as WSUS Publishers Self-signed, right-click Trusted Root Certification Authorities, click All Tasks, and then click

Import. Complete the Certificate Import Wizard using the exported file from step

9 try to delete the package again.
    • Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:23 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by odo Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:08 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 10:32 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:23 AM
  • Hi,

no the thread is not solved. I checked your steps. In the WSUS and Trusted Publishers node are the same certificates. There are no other ones. I checked the thumbprint, it is the same. I created the software packages a long time ago. And we need to setup the wsus again, so it can be that the packages are belong to an different certificate. How can I delete them manually?

I have another question. If I create a package and delete it later the files in C:\Program Files\Update Services\UpdateServicesPackages\MyPackageGUID will not be deleted. How can I clean up these folders?

Thanks.

Regards.
    odo
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Hi odo,

Please Open a cmd prompt and navigate to the C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials 2007 directory, then run the following command: SCECertPolicyConfigUtil.exe /PolicyType domain /ManagementGroup <management group name> /SCEServer <Essentials Server FQDN>

Also, for the folders question, if the packges disappear in SCE console - Software space, you can manually delete the related folder.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:39 AM
  • Hi, why I should do this? I done this in the past. New packages can be created and deleted. I have only problems with 4 old packages. Is there no automatically clean up of the update services folder? It is very time consuming doing the clean up process by hand. I need to recognize the update GUID! Regards.
    odo
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:08 AM
  • I've been having the same problem on all 6 domains I manage. Using the SCE Console I am able to create a software package then delete it but shortly after I refresh the console the package reappears, this time I am unable to delete the package. This is for every single package that I create, I haven't been able to actually remove any of them. They just error out now. I have about 30 packages I need to remove from each network (6 * 30 = 180) packages I have to get off the system.

Getting Error Message: "Cannot revise or expire a package that has already been expired"

Date: 7/17/2009 6:47:30 AM
      Message: Cannot revise or expire a package that has already been expired.

System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot revise or expire a package that has already been expired.
         at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.SCE.Internal.UI.SoftwarePackagesView.DeletePackageProgressForm.DeleteItemsBackgroundWorkerDoWork(Object sender,      DoWorkEventArgs e)

I've been reading ALOTof posts on this topic and found the issue started shortly after the release of System Center Essentials but there hasn't been resolution (since 2007). Many of the posts from Eric Zhang stated that this is a known bug and it will be resolved shortly..... My question is when is it going to be resolved.???

The WSUSDEBUGTOOL /Tool:PurgeUnneededFiles command only removes the UPDATES that I have declined for my enviroment from my disk. I've tried removing the software packages from the UpdateServicesPackages folder but that only seems to cause more issues and the package just continues to show up in the console. I've tried removing references to the software packages from the MSSQL DB but that hasn't gotten me the results I wanted... (glad it was a test network if you catch my drift!!!!).

Hey Microsoft.. we need this resolved. Its obviously an issue for us out here in the real world. Fix it or give us a work around

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
     - Ron

Friday, July 17, 2009 11:05 AM
  • Hi,

is there a solution to delete the packages manualy in the database?

Regards
    odo
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:26 AM
  • Did you manage to get an answer for this? I'm having the same problem
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry still no solution available.

Regards
    odo
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:12 PM
  • How big is your software deployment file. It seems I have this issue whenever the setup.exe or msi file is large like 500mb.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

The issue is not a package size problem. All packages are lower than 20MB. It is a certification issue.

Regards
    odo
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:37 AM
  • I agree it is a certification issue.  I've been in contact with MS regarding certificate issues not directly related to this thread.  However, the end result of the fix(es) created the very issue listed here in the first post. 

It started with the inability to create a software package.  It would fail at the point where it would attempt to sign the package.  Something was wrong with the certs.  MS had me re-generate the two certs with the SCECertPolicyConfigUtil.  Beware as this causes quite a bit of work to restore client communications and GPO settings back to the way you had them. 

I was then able to create the software packages, but then I could not connect via remote console (a cert mismatch error of sorts would appear).  MS then had me uninstall the management group and reinstall it and again regenerate the certificates using a combination of two SCECertPolicyConfigUtil commands.  I was able to connect via remote console again and create new software packages, but I noticed clients were unable to verify the signature of software distribution packages I'd previously built.  I went to delete the old software packages and rebuild them due to the certs changing and I received the same error as the first post, which is what brought me here. 

I was able to remove the deployments associated with the bad packages.  I can create new packages and deploy with no problem. 

At least as a workaround, there should be some way to delete the (old) bad packages manually and remove any database reference to them and they'd be gone.
    I'm not going to waste another support incident to have them clean up problems created by their fixes to previous certificate issues. 

Friday, March 12, 2010 3:20 PM
  • I wish I could just delete this manualy from the database and be done with it. What a waste of time.
    Friday, April 9, 2010 10:49 AM