none
Mount Windows 10 Hyper-V virtual machine on Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V host RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have a Windows 10-  Pro Hyper-V virtual machine that I would like to mount on a Windows Sever 2016 Hyper-V host.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Thursday, November 21, 2019 4:59 PM

Answers

• Another option is to copy the VHDX over to destination, create a new VM with an identical configuration, then when you get to step Connect Virtual Hard Disk choose Use an existing and point to the VHDX you copied.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by QISSIIT Friday, November 22, 2019 8:20 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:33 PM
  • If the VM was created natively on Windows 10, then it is probably using configuration version 9.0 or higher. WS2016 can only import versions 5.0 through 8.0. You can copy the VHDX to the 2016 host, make a new VM without a VHDX, and attach the disk file to that. It will cause all of the hardware GUIDs inside the operating system to change, likely triggering an activation event.

It looks like you have a number of snapshots on that VM. I would flatten that before migrating. The export process should have created a flattened system for you, though.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Friday, November 22, 2019 7:55 PM

All replies

• Should not be a problem. Export from windows 10, copy files, then import on server 2016

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 5:04 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'll give it a shot and report back.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 5:14 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Thursday, November 21, 2019 5:15 PM
  • OK (very new to hyper-v so please bare with me)

I shutdown the VM and right-clicked and selected Export.  Exported to an external drive.

Folder structure:

Both the Snapshots and Virtual Machine folders are empty.

The Virtual HArd Disks contains a Hard Disk Image File which I can right-click and select mount (on the host sever).

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I thought I would be able to export from the Win 10 box and import on the Win server 2016 host.

Thanks for any assistance you might provide.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:11 PM
  • When export completes (may take some time to complete) I'd expect to see the VHDX in \Virtual Hard Disks and the configuration file in \Virtual Machines, then copy the files to 2016, then Import Virtual Machine and work through the prompts.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:25 PM
  • Any ideas why the Export function is not creating those files?
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:27 PM
  • Are you sure it is done? The export process takes quite a while to complete. Click on the VM, then check the right-hand pane for status of the export process.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:29 PM
  • Another option is to copy the VHDX over to destination, create a new VM with an identical configuration, then when you get to step Connect Virtual Hard Disk choose Use an existing and point to the VHDX you copied.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:33 PM
  • When I right-click the VM - I see cancel Export.  I'm assuming from your statement that it's not finished exporting.

Am I correct that these are the locations on the host that contain the files I could manually copy and transfer to the server to manually create the VM per your instructions?

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:44 PM
  • When I right-click the VM - I see cancel Export.  I'm assuming from your statement that it's not finished exporting.

When export completes you chould see three config files in \Virtual Machines Also slide the horizontal scroll bar over to see the export % status

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:47 PM
  • Am I correct that these are the locations on the host that contain the files I could manually copy and transfer to the server to manually create the VM per your instructions?

You can copy the VHDX from;

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:50 PM
  • OK - yes I see it's progressing.  I will let it finish and proceed from there following your directions.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

I will update this post when finished.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:50 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:51 PM
  • OK. The export completed and I transferred the copies of the Virtual Machine and Virtual Hard Drive folder to the Server Hyper-V host.

I clicked on Import Virtual Machine under the Action windows on the server host - opened the Virtual Machine folder to import the vm - nothing shows up.

Here are the contents of both folders.

Should I be approaching this in a different way?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Friday, November 22, 2019 7:13 PM
  • If the VM was created natively on Windows 10, then it is probably using configuration version 9.0 or higher. WS2016 can only import versions 5.0 through 8.0. You can copy the VHDX to the 2016 host, make a new VM without a VHDX, and attach the disk file to that. It will cause all of the hardware GUIDs inside the operating system to change, likely triggering an activation event.

It looks like you have a number of snapshots on that VM. I would flatten that before migrating. The export process should have created a flattened system for you, though.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Friday, November 22, 2019 7:55 PM
  • Agree with Eric, copy the VHDX over to destination, create a new VM with an identical configuration, then when you get to step Connect Virtual Hard Disk choose Use an existing and point to the VHDX you copied.

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:01 PM