Exchange 2010 SP3 Cannot Delete certain Emails in Inbox RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. After Update to Exchange 2010 SP3, i have the following problem, that some users cannot delete emails from inbox.

i have a single exchange with all roles installed, win 2008 r2 sp1 x64 with all updates.same error on outlook 2010 and owa. this is a german version installed. the user gets the following error: item cannot be moved, it was already moved or deleted or the access has been denied.

but the strange thing i can move the message to a subfolder and in the subfolder i can delete the message. but if i moved it back to inbox, the same error appears.

i looked at eventlog, but at this time i have no errors in log when the error occurs.

server was restarted after sp3.

any ideas?

kind regards,

sebastian

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:08 PM

Answers

• I have found a workaround: Shift+Delete and choose Yes to permanently delete the item.

Very strange issue and I know for a fact we never saw this glitch before SP2 RU6.

• Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:31 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:05 PM
  • As a test could you try editing the message and seeing if Outlook will let you delete it normally?
    Open the e-mail in Outlook > Ribbon: Move > Button: Actions > Edit Message

I think I have the same issue as you but I am not certain.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/dd71f418-e2b4-441e-bfdb-8667a3d4b3a5
    One solution I found is that if I edit the body, save, and then close, I can delete the message normally.

yes this worked, if you edit the message, you can delete it afterwards.

so, anyone opened a microsoft support ticket?

i don´t want to uninstall sp3.

You wont get charged for a bug. I would strongly urge you to open your own ticket. Its important that support understands that this is affecting many customers.

P.S. You cant remove a Service Pack. It requires removing Exchange entirely.

Twitter!:

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:32 PM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Update (3/27/2013): We've been working on a fix for this issue and an Interim Update (IU) is now available for E2010 SP3. Another IU request is in process for E2010 SP2. These fixes will be released as part of next regular updates but if you need the IUs, please contact Microsoft Support to request appropriate fixes for your setup. KB article (KB:2822208) update is also in process.

-------------------------------------

(Originally posted on 3/19/2013)

This is a known issue with Exchange 2010 SP2 RU6 & SP3. Microsoft is investigating it for root cause determination. At this moment, there is no ETA for when a fix will be available. A KB article has been published with more info and workarounds. It will be updated when more information is available. Please see:

Unable to soft delete some messages after installing Exchange 2010 SP2 RU6 or SP3
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2822208

Sr. Program Manager, Product Quality, Exchange Client Access Server

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:26 PM

All replies

• HI Sebastian,

Please check the web services confirguration.

In Exchange 2010 message deletion was done using web services.

• Locate the web.config file in the ClientAccess\OWA directory in the Exchange Server install directory
    • The end of the file contained the following lines:
      <system.webServer>
         <httpRedirect enabled="true"/>
      </system.webServer>
    • Remove those lines
    • Save the web.config file
    • Reset the IIS services on the server

Regards,

Neeraj Sambyal

• Edited by Nothing 123 Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:07 AM Different settings
    • Proposed as answer by Nothing 123 Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:07 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:02 AM
  • Hi

If you try and create a new profile on one of the machines giving problems does it solve the issue?

You can also try running outlook in safe mode (outlook /safe)

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:39 AM
  • Hello Neeraj,

thanks for your answer. but i cannot find these lines in the web. config under c:\program files\microsoft\exchange server\v14\clientaccess\owa

i uploaded the config file here:

web config

regards,

sebastian

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:03 AM
  • Hi Sebastian,

Are you getting this issue only on outlook or on OWA as well.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:53 AM
  • I too am seeing the same issue: Some items cannot be deleted. They were either moved or already deleted, or access was denied.

It started for us when we installed Exchange 2010 SP2 RU6 and I was hoping SP3 would fix the glitch..but it didn't.

The good news is the issue seems to be sporadic. One user simply cannot delete messages from just 2 senders. All others delete just fine. Also, it only happens to users in Outlook online mode. (RDS users)

If I set up the user's Outlook as cached Exchange mode, then I could delete the messages.

I tried Outlook safe mode, OWA, OWA light, moved the mailbox (in case of corruption), emptied the Deleted Items dumpster, removing small attachments from the emails...no luck. Eventually I tried a new mail profile on a test laptop and as I mentioned, cached mode- that did the trick. Tomorrow I will try a new RDS user profile, but if OWA is not working I don't see how it could be profile related.

• Edited by ktaber Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:56 PM bolded error message
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:20 AM
  • yes it´s on owa and outlook and. i tried this also with administrator and gave full access to the mailbox. same problem.

i don´t think the problem is profile and outlook profile related.

by the way, yes it is only sporadic, so hopefully this must be an error with sp3 or ru6.

i think sp3 and ru6 updated the same configuration, because they were released together.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:33 AM
  • Hi Sebastian,

It seems like mailbox level corruption. Please move the mailbox to another database, and then try again to see if you are able to delete message in Inbox.

Hope it is helpful.

Fiona Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:52 PM
  • hello fiona,

i did that already. i created a new mailbox database and moved the user to the new one. same problem.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:58 PM
  • I too had thought that, just as I posted earlier in the thread. But doing a mailbox move did not work for us either.

I'm with you and I think it is related to the RU6, as that is when the issue started for me. I didn't deploy SP3 until days later.

For now I'm telling users to just deal with it and that a fix will be out eventually but that there is no ETA.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:05 PM
  • So how soon for SP3 v2 and RU6 v2 I wonder. :-)
    Friday, February 22, 2013 3:54 PM
  • I don't think it is about SP2 since just some users are affected.

How about creating a new mailbox for the affected user? you  may also compare the folder permission between normal user and affected user via cmdlet below:

Get-MailboxFolderPermission

Refer to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335061(v=exchg.141).aspx

Hope it is helpful .

Fiona Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:01 AM
  • We have the same problem, but typically only for meeting requests or answers (accept, decline or tentative) from meeting requests.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:14 AM
  • I have found a workaround: Shift+Delete and choose Yes to permanently delete the item.

Very strange issue and I know for a fact we never saw this glitch before SP2 RU6.

• Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:31 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:05 PM
  • For those having this issue, is it contained to emails with WAV and PDF attachments, or does it occur with other messages? If it happens with other messages, are these messages with or without attachments?

Steve

Steve Goodman
    Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:25 PM
  • Good call, I can't believe I didn't catch that. Yes both senders, one being a copier, are sending PDF attachments. Those are the messages that are having this issue.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:28 PM
  • Does it happen if you send a general PDF attachment to an affected user from Outlook? I've just tried to repro it myself and can't - however I'm creating the message in Outlook or OWA, not on something like a copier.

Steve

Steve Goodman

Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:42 PM
  • All other PDF attachment emails are deletable. It must just be a certain version. Come to think of it is is just our newest Konica copier the C364 model. All the older C360 models' attachments are deletable by the user.

Just so you are aware though, this does not affect all users. Just a handful. For now I'm not going to worry about it since they can Shift+Delete the emails. I'm sure a fix will be out in the future.

Here is the PDF attachment properties:

• Edited by ktaber Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:53 PM typos
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Well, I wouldnt assume a fix is coming. The only way to ensure one is to open a ticket with Microsoft Support and since others are seeing this as well, that will go along way to getting it fixed.

Twitter!:

Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:02 PM
  • Same issue with 2010 SP2 RU6 it seems: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/c74d7f00-a72f-4f10-82b0-9a78c1265b52

Jason Sherry | Blog | Hire Me | Twitter: @JasonSherry
    Microsoft Infrastructure Architect, MCSE: M, MCTIP, Microsoft Exchange MVP

• Edited by Jason Sherry Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:26 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:24 PM
  • Hi Sebastian,

Please check OWA virtual directory in IIS whether you enabled http redirect, If yes, Please disable and try.

Ganga Enterprise Messaging Administrator-Exchange 2010. Windows 2008 Active Directory Configuring.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:48 PM
  • Hi Sebastian,

Please check OWA virtual directory in IIS whether you enabled http redirect, If yes, Please disable and try.

By all means try this, but if this was the case I'd expect this issue to already occur, and not just for specific attachments sent in a certain way.

Steve

Steve Goodman

Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:23 PM
  • As a test could you try editing the message and seeing if Outlook will let you delete it normally?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/dd71f418-e2b4-441e-bfdb-8667a3d4b3a5
    One solution I found is that if I edit the body, save, and then close, I can delete the message normally.

Friday, March 1, 2013 6:13 PM

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 1:58 PM

You wont get charged for a bug. I would strongly urge you to open your own ticket. Its important that support understands that this is affecting many customers.

P.S. You cant remove a Service Pack. It requires removing Exchange entirely.

Twitter!:

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Wednesday, March 6, 2013 1:32 PM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:11 PM
  • I was planning to upgrade to SP3 but now cannot do it because of this issue.

Raman

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:31 PM
  • Is there any updates from Microsoft about this issue? Have they officially acknowledge the problem or set a date to release a fix.

Kind regards,

Marcel

Marcel

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:50 PM
  • I was planning to upgrade to SP3 but now cannot do it because of this issue.

Raman

It's unlikely to affect you. This should not be a deployment blocker, remember SP3 has been out with TAP customers for many months without issue and it's only a handful of customers having this particular issue.

Steve Goodman

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:38 PM
  • Is there any updates from Microsoft about this issue? Have they officially acknowledge the problem or set a date to release a fix.

Kind regards,

Marcel

Marcel

If you're experiencing the issue, make sure you raise a support case with Microsoft before rolling back. Don't wait and hope someone else does.

Steve

Steve Goodman

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:39 PM
  • Thanks Steve.

I installed SP3 in Test environment and did not see any issue.

Raman

Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:25 PM
  • I agree with Steve. My deployment has affected less than 5 mailboxes out of hundreds.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:23 PM
  • I just installed SP3 and had many issues with it on a Windows 2012 server.  After hours of research and making changes I did the one thing I forgot about and that was run Exchange BPA in the toolbox via EMC.  The answer was there and I re-installed SP3 per the instructions and now everything works perfectly.

Just a thought, have any of you tried running BPA Permission check or the Health Check?

Thursday, March 7, 2013 8:21 PM
  • Yes Microsoft has acknowledged the issue and is fully aware. I opened a case with Microsoft today (didn't see this forum until afterwards) and they gathered logs. They said that they need the EDB of a mailbox of an affected user to troubleshoot this further. We are in the process of getting our legal dept involved before we hand over an EDB of our company email data. They said they are facing the same issue with other customers that have reported the issue and haven't been able to get hold of an mailbox EDB that is experiencing the issue.

RF1983

Saturday, March 9, 2013 12:37 AM
  • Please keep us informed about ongoing related cases established with MS, thank you!  

I upgraded an Exchange test environment to 2010 SP3 where I have not experienced the issues, but with small percentages of anticipated issues, I am interested in the MS response and the time frame for which they plan to address the matter.  At this point I am going to keep SP3 on hold for our production environment.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:25 PM
  • Some of the users might experience issues after deploying SP3 or SP2 RU6

a - Cannot delete voice mails

b - Cannot Delete emails with PDF attachments

c - you might experience the issues with calendar items too

work around :

- Shift+Delete should work

- move these messages to another folder and sfot delete should work.

- I'll update this thread once we have the resoultion or Fix    

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:47 PM
  • Update (3/27/2013): We've been working on a fix for this issue and an Interim Update (IU) is now available for E2010 SP3. Another IU request is in process for E2010 SP2. These fixes will be released as part of next regular updates but if you need the IUs, please contact Microsoft Support to request appropriate fixes for your setup. KB article (KB:2822208) update is also in process.

-------------------------------------

(Originally posted on 3/19/2013)

This is a known issue with Exchange 2010 SP2 RU6 & SP3. Microsoft is investigating it for root cause determination. At this moment, there is no ETA for when a fix will be available. A KB article has been published with more info and workarounds. It will be updated when more information is available. Please see:

Unable to soft delete some messages after installing Exchange 2010 SP2 RU6 or SP3
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2822208

Sr. Program Manager, Product Quality, Exchange Client Access Server

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:26 PM
  • OK, so after a GRUELING 6 hours on the phone with Microsoft trying to get the Interim Update, we got it, installed it and it DID NOT FIX anything!

What it ended up being was bindings on the Default Website.  They were left-over from previous Exchange setup and caused issues by rejecting connections.  We removed all named bindings and everything started working again!!

Hope that helps someone.....

Tony Ling Network Systems Administrator Technology Services Corvallis School District

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 11:11 PM
  • @LingT

I am not sure if you are experiencing the same issue which is discussed in this thread. The IU fixes the issues

discussed in KB282208 only. what was the issue you experienced ?

Saturday, April 6, 2013 9:04 PM
  • Trust me...it was the same issue. I was running Exchange 2010 SP1 and upgraded to SP3. The moment we did, we had sporadic users who couldn't delete email, move email or sometimes attach files to email...just like everyone else on this forum has posted. I referenced this Forum and the associated KB to Microsoft, and they agreed that I needed the IU. I had done a lot of research on this problem before coming to this forum and the possible fix, and when I followed the resolution and didn't get a fix, I just thought I better post my actual solution so that others could check this solution first before going through the hassle of contacting MS. I am not saying it won't be someone else's solution, but it also may not be.

Tony Ling Network Systems Administrator Technology Services Corvallis School District

Monday, April 8, 2013 3:26 PM
  • We have the following Bindings and still have this issue. should any of them be removed?

http                             80              *

net.tcp                                                                808:*

Net.pipe                                                              *

net.msmq                                                           localhost

msmq.formatname                                             localhost

https                             443

http                               80              127.0.0.1

https                             443             127.0.0.1

Monday, April 15, 2013 1:46 PM
  • We have the same problem, but typically only for meeting requests or answers (accept, decline or tentative) from meeting requests.

This seems to be the only mention of meeting requests which is what I have in my environment. Did you find an answere to why this was happening or a workaround? Thanks
    Monday, April 15, 2013 2:10 PM
  • That is what we have, with one change... 

https 443 should have * under the IP Address instead of blank.

Maybe our problem was a combination of this and the IU?  Who knows.

;-)

Monday, April 15, 2013 5:42 PM
  • We are seeing a very similiar issue in our environment after we went from SP2 to SP3.

We have user's who can't move or delete certain items, and it appears to only be affecting mails which have been encrypted.

Users are able to shift + delete the items and there seems to be more success in Cached Mode vs Online.

Anyone else seeing this?

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Update (3/27/2013): We've been working on a fix for this issue and an Interim Update (IU) is now available for E2010 SP3. Another IU request is in process for E2010 SP2. These fixes will be released as part of next regular updates [..]

Several of our 1500 users encountered the same problem (not able to move or soft delete several e-mails, mostly with attachements) after we installed ru6 for exchange 2010 sp2 two months ago. I can't find another fix or new versions yet, neither for ru6 nor sp3, right?

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:03 AM
  • I have a question about this. If messages cannot be deleted will a mailbox move to 2013 from 2010 fail towards the end of the move, as a result of not being able to remove the source mailbox. as a result of trapped messages in it??
    Friday, April 26, 2013 10:16 AM
  • Huh.  That is an excellent question, and hadn't occurred to me.

Moving a mailbox from one database to another on the same server would be the same process, correct? Perhaps you could do that once with a known problem mailbox as a test.
    (Someone more experienced with 2013 migrations, please confirm).

Another thought: increase the baditemlimit to compensate?

Friday, April 26, 2013 3:13 PM
  • When I was working with a Microsoft Engineer to fix our problem, he had me create a new database on our 2010 server and move a mailbox that was having these problems to it, and it did not change a thing.  Moving a mailbox to a 2013 database, I don't know about yet....

Friday, April 26, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Sorry, but we have still no solution for this particular problem.
    I hope Microsoft will soon come with a hotfix as mentioned above and that this hotfix will solve this issue.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Any ETA from Microsoft. Or Just we need to wait.

Amit

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:30 PM
  • To update, the Interim Update DID wind up solving our issue. The original support engineer I worked with only had us install it on our client access servers. After working with another engineer, it was revealed that it needs to also be installed on the Mailbox servers as well. Once we did this, everything is working great

I would assume this fix will be put into SP3 RU1 but if you can't wait, I'd just pickup the IU from Microsoft Support.

Brandon

Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Will Wait then. Don't want to waste my money or hours with MS engg for a bug created by them. Rather MS should call their customer and provide the fix in advance.

Amit

Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:32 PM
  • I was able to obtain the IU with only a 10 minute phone call. Since it's a bug (and a well known one) it should be free. Guess it just depends how gripey your users are :)

Brandon

Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Update: 

To resolve this issue, install the following update rollup:
    2803727 Description of Update Rollup 1 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 3

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:56 PM
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:55 PM
  • Anyone else having a problem with this installing? It fails on every server I have. 
    Sunday, June 2, 2013 12:50 AM
  • so does the update rollup 1 as described above resolved the issue?

Friday, June 28, 2013 11:06 AM
  • Worst rollup, not sure what MS is doing, giving crap RU's and Service pack to customer and causing other issues.

Amit

Friday, June 28, 2013 1:48 PM