4GB Limit detected too late ( 4505CD-13802C0A-00000012 ) RRS feed

• Question

• Using 4.5.0.1485, you are allowed to create a package that (slightly) exceeds the 4GB limit, but you will not be informed of the problem until it arrives at the client.

To reporoduce:

I Sequenced Visual Studio 2008 Professional and added in the SP1 release.  The DotNet Framework 3.5SP1 was natively installed in an attempt to reduce the package size.  A customized install was selected to also attempt to reduce the size.

Ultimately, the package listed as 4.15GB when inside the sequencer General Properties Tab.  Of course one had to look to see that value.  However, no error was generated in the sequencer and the sequencer allowed me to save the package.  Note that knowing it was a large package I chose to use compression.

I ran the App-V Toolkit tool SftInfo, which seemed to also think the package was OK.

I imported into the App-V Management Server, which did not complain (but then it doesn't look inside the package anyway).

The App-V client does report that the package is too large with error 0A-00000012.

The Sequencer should probably throw up a warning dialog and encourage me to move some things out of the package before I save.  It should be easy enough to do.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:19 PM

Answers

• Hello

Thank you for posting this information about the 4 GB package size limitation.  We will also consider your suggestions for future releases of the Sequencer.

Thanks again,

Dan Bernhardt [MSFT]
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:30 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hello

Thank you for posting this information about the 4 GB package size limitation.  We will also consider your suggestions for future releases of the Sequencer.

Thanks again,

Dan Bernhardt [MSFT]
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:30 PM
    Answerer
  • Doh!  It happened to me again (4.5.1 "CU1" release).  You would think that I would learn, but I was incorrectly told by someone at MS that if I selected compression that as long as the compressed package was under 4G it would be OK.  THIS IS WRONG!  The uncompressed size must be < 4G.

Behavior at the client is different on different client releases:
        4.5.0 Loads the file 100% into the cache and dies upon launch.
        4.5.1 Does not load the cache - thus the error message to the user is a file not found (MSI client).
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Hey Tim,

I was told the same and was about to suggest that option.

Guess knowing is half the battle :)

JJ
    Friday, June 12, 2009 6:12 PM