none
Resource Leveling Project 2016 vs 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

In the Project Management course that I teach, students and I have found out different solutions for a resource-constrained schedule depending on the MS Project version.  I have tried attaching the question and the Project solution file, but the system does not let me attach any files until I am a verified user. So, here is the question we worked on:

Task Name Duration Predecessors Resources
    1 2 days None 2 programmers
    2 6 days 1 2 programmers
    3 4 days 1 2 programmers
    4 2 days 1 1 programmer
    5 2 days 3 1 programmer
    6 4 days 3 1 programmer
    7 2 days 2,4,5,6 1 programmer

There are a total of 3 programmers available. After leveling, the resource-constrained schedule must take 14 days to finish. Although students used the same procedure for resource leveling, Project 2016 users found 14 days as expected, but Project 2019 users found 16 days. In Project 2019, activity 4 does start only after activity 3 is finished, although they can start at the same time since it would not violate the availability of 3 programmers.

Is there a change in the heuristic running behind in Project 2019? Or are there new settings that I should be aware of to get the correct solution by default in Project 2019?

Thank you for your help.

Monday, March 18, 2019 3:43 PM

Answers

• Gokce Palak,

Have you confirmed that the Leveling Options are exactly the same for both groups of students?  After re-creating your project (with a start date of today, Monday) in Project 2016, I can duplicate both sets of class results by toggling the resource allocation interval between "minute-by-minute" (14d) and "hour-by-hour" (16d).  (This is with Standard leveling order.  Splits and assignment adjustments are allowed, but none are applied.)

Since only the Standard calendar is applied, there is no obvious reason why the two allocation intervals would yield different results....yet they do, in Project 2016.   (In contrast, the allocation interval makes no difference in Project 2010, which derives exactly the same 14-day leveled schedule as the one shown - for minute, hour, and day intervals.  It is known that the leveling heuristics were modified from 2010 to 2013, leading to longer leveled schedules in some standardized tests.  I've read that 2016 heuristics are identical to 2013's, but I've read of no knew changes for 2019.)   

• Edited by Tom BoyleBPC Monday, March 18, 2019 10:28 PM Confirmed 2010 results
    • Marked as answer by Gokce Palak Tuesday, March 19, 2019 3:20 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2019 9:47 PM

All replies

• Gokce Palak,

Have you confirmed that the Leveling Options are exactly the same for both groups of students?  After re-creating your project (with a start date of today, Monday) in Project 2016, I can duplicate both sets of class results by toggling the resource allocation interval between "minute-by-minute" (14d) and "hour-by-hour" (16d).  (This is with Standard leveling order.  Splits and assignment adjustments are allowed, but none are applied.)

Since only the Standard calendar is applied, there is no obvious reason why the two allocation intervals would yield different results....yet they do, in Project 2016.   (In contrast, the allocation interval makes no difference in Project 2010, which derives exactly the same 14-day leveled schedule as the one shown - for minute, hour, and day intervals.  It is known that the leveling heuristics were modified from 2010 to 2013, leading to longer leveled schedules in some standardized tests.  I've read that 2016 heuristics are identical to 2013's, but I've read of no knew changes for 2019.)   

• Edited by Tom BoyleBPC Monday, March 18, 2019 10:28 PM Confirmed 2010 results
    • Marked as answer by Gokce Palak Tuesday, March 19, 2019 3:20 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2019 9:47 PM
  • They should stick to a version that works, 2010, (or 2007).

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 5:55 AM
  • Tom Boyle,  thank you. This is helpful. I did not expect that allocation intervals would impact the results. I will advise students to use the minute-by-minute setting. 
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 3:20 PM
  • Thank you for your help. We only have access to the latest version, Project 2019.
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 3:22 PM