Registry key to disable idle-stop for Windows update service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I previously asked a question on how to disable idle-stop of windows update service in Windows server 2012 R2. I was recommended not to change the default settings as it may lead to other problems. However, I found similar behavior with other services and one is remote registry service. On searching I found the solution to disable idle-stop of registry service at the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\RemoteRegistry \DisableIdleStop

This key needs to be changed to 1 to stop the idle stop feature of registry service. But I cannot find the similar key for Windows update service. 

Can anyone guide me where can I find the registry key to disable idle-stop of windows update service - wuauserv. If there is no such key present, is it possible to create such key for update service. If yes how and where?

Thanks,

Adi

• Edited by skvadi Tuesday, August 16, 2016 1:49 PM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:50 AM

Answers

• Hi skvadi,

After a long time of research, I still not find a similar register key for windows update services.

And I won't suggest you create a similar key for windows update services, since a fault register key may cause damage to the system.

If you don't want the windows update services to stop, you may create a task to trigger the services such as command "wuauclt /detectnow".

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by skvadi Friday, August 19, 2016 7:15 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 7:47 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Thank you for the response. Based on the idea given by you, I created a task in the scheduler to trigger on an event. Whenever the update service was stopping, it was generating an information event. I created a task that whenever the event occurs for Windows update, it will trigger the command sc.exe start wuauserv.

This resolved my issue to a great extent and after monitoring for 1 day, I found that whenever the service stops and generates the information event, the service starts due to this trigger. If the service stops due to some other event or error, it will not start the service and monitoring tool will raise an alert.

Thank you for the help.

Regards,

Adi

Friday, August 19, 2016 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hi skvadi,

After a long time of research, I still not find a similar register key for windows update services.

And I won't suggest you create a similar key for windows update services, since a fault register key may cause damage to the system.

If you don't want the windows update services to stop, you may create a task to trigger the services such as command "wuauclt /detectnow".

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by skvadi Friday, August 19, 2016 7:15 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 7:47 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Thank you for the response. Based on the idea given by you, I created a task in the scheduler to trigger on an event. Whenever the update service was stopping, it was generating an information event. I created a task that whenever the event occurs for Windows update, it will trigger the command sc.exe start wuauserv.

This resolved my issue to a great extent and after monitoring for 1 day, I found that whenever the service stops and generates the information event, the service starts due to this trigger. If the service stops due to some other event or error, it will not start the service and monitoring tool will raise an alert.

Thank you for the help.

Regards,

Adi

Friday, August 19, 2016 7:15 AM
  • Hi skvadi,

Glad to hear it helps. Cheers for your success.

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, August 19, 2016 7:19 AM