none
Windows update and Steady State RRS feed

• Question

• We have had Steady State on our public library computers for about two years.  I just noticed that Windows Updates were not up to date and installed the updates on 3 of our computers.  Now when you start of restart any of the three computers the black screen appears with "We are sorry for the inconvenience..." and options for "safe mode", "last know good configuration" or "start windows normally" appears.  If you press "start windows normally" they do start up normally.  When I did the Windows Updates, Steady State was in "locked" mode, so I wonder if that is what is causing the problem. I would like to get rid of the black screen, as the computers are for the public. We are running Windows XP.  I did not download Windows 8.
    If this is resolved what setting should I have so that Windows update automatically?
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 5:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Mount Mansfield, thanks for the post. Have you turned on Windows Disk Protection? I suggest you log on the system and temporarily disable it. Then, let's restart the computer and see the result. If the issue does not occur, we can turn on WDP and check again.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Mount Mansfield, thanks for the post. Have you turned on Windows Disk Protection? I suggest you log on the system and temporarily disable it. Then, let's restart the computer and see the result. If the issue does not occur, we can turn on WDP and check again.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:54 AM
  • Thanks Sean, that worked.

I do have another question.  Our computers are used by the public.  I recommend to people that they sign out of all accounts that has a login so that people who use the computers after them cannot get into their accounts.  That seems to work on most pages but have noticed that even when a patron logs out of Myspace you can arrow down on the toolbar click on where they were logged in and get into their account.  If a patron wants to remove all of their information what is the best way for them to do that?  From what I have read it seems that they have to restart the computer but 1) it takes a few minutes for the computers to restart if new patrons are waiting and 2) I wonder if it is a lot of ware and tare on the computer to restart it 20 times or more a day.  Is there a setting that removes all personal data  on "log off"?

Thanks again
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:31 PM