none
Tape backups failing to a Dell LTO5 TL2000 autoloader (IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library) RRS feed

• Question

• I have been experiencing problems over the last 2 - 3 weeks with my tape backups in DPM.  I am consistently getting failed tape jobs to a Dell TL2000 LTO5 tape autoloader.  An example of a recent event in the DPM event log is Event ID 3303:

Library drive IBM ULTRIUM HH 3580 TAPE DRIVE (1068017653) in IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library is not functioning and library jobs may fail until the drive is repaired.  The drive is not functioning for the following reason:

(ID: 3303)

DPM encountered a critical error while performing an I/O operation on the tape <media id> in Drive IBM ULTRIUM HH 3580 TAPE DRIVE (1068017653). (ID: 30101)

The previous errors to this entry include Event ID 3311 and this states:

The backup to tape job failed for the following reason: (ID 3311).  DPM could not reserve the drive resource because one of required drives resources is not online or it needs cleaning or servicing. (ID 24052)

I also noticed when troubleshooting before calling Dell that the drive (not the library) disappeared for a short time from the libraries tab in the management window.

I have since raised a call with Dell and they believe the tape drive and SAS card are ok as it appears in the device manager with no problems.  The engineer advised that I use the Microsoft driver from the OS (2008 R2) as DPM was a Microsoft product rather than the IBM driver.  He also advised me to use the Microsoft generic driver for the Medium Changer, which I have reverted back to the IBM one because (as I suspected) an unknown medium changer would not work.  I have however left the driver as a Microsoft one for the tape drive itself, but I am still getting this problem which seems to be getting worse.

Dell suggested this was a DPM issue which I need to raise with Microsoft but I am not sure.  Is there anything I can check within DPM regarding this autoloader or drivers I should be using.  It was working a lot better than this before 3 weeks ago, it has been cleaned, and I had not changed the drivers or f/w prior to this starting.  It did however fail a small number of jobs each day, but i did not at the time put this down to this problem

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:24 PM

Answers

• Just received a call from Dell having sent a drive dump in from the tape drive.  It seems that the problem is a known issue for this drive at Dell where there is a manufacturing problem with some LTO 5 vendors whose media leave debris on the tape heads causing the tape drive to fail.  They are replacing the tape drive under warranty as it is on it's way out due to this problem and they have advised me to change manufacturer for the LTO 5 media and call Maxell's helpline number which is set up for this problem to discuss refunds etc.  They only approve 3 brands of LTO 5 with this drive: Dell, IBM and Fujifilm.
    • Marked as answer by chris624 Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:06 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM cannot make a tape drive disappear from windows device manager, so if that continues to occur please revisit with DELL support.

I found these TL2000 drivers dated 10-31-2011 A096.2.1.5 on Dell web site:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=us&l=en&s=biz&cs=555&DriverId=R318494

However, historically you need to add this registry key to DPM Server when using IBM TS 35xx or Dell LT2000 libraries to address cleaner issues which may occur down the road.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
       RSMCompatMode:REG_DWORD:0x8

Note The RSMCompatMode registry value is used to specify multiple flags for DPM. The following are the flags that are set by this registry value:

• 1 = RSM_COMPAT_INIT_ELEMENT_STATUS
    • 4 = RSM_COMPAT_IGNORE_TAPE_INVENTORY_RESULT
    • 8 = RSM_COMPAT_CLEANER_EXCEPTION

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:50 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Mike,

Firstly, sorry it's not too clear in the original post, but I haven't seen any issues with the tape drive in Windows device Manager, it is in the Management tab within DPM under libraries where I saw the drive dispappear - when that happened it was only for a short time and, as far as I noticed, it was still appearing in device manager with no problem. 

Regarding the RSMCompatMode setting in the registry, it is already present and set to a value of 8. 

I will try these drivers after comparing with what we have installed already when I get back into work tomorrow morning.

Regards

Chris

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Just received a call from Dell having sent a drive dump in from the tape drive.  It seems that the problem is a known issue for this drive at Dell where there is a manufacturing problem with some LTO 5 vendors whose media leave debris on the tape heads causing the tape drive to fail.  They are replacing the tape drive under warranty as it is on it's way out due to this problem and they have advised me to change manufacturer for the LTO 5 media and call Maxell's helpline number which is set up for this problem to discuss refunds etc.  They only approve 3 brands of LTO 5 with this drive: Dell, IBM and Fujifilm.
    • Marked as answer by chris624 Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:06 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I'm experiencing the same problem with a DELL TL2000 library. In the last two weeks backup jobs have been failing and drive is requesting cleaning almost everyday.

I'm using DPM 2010 and HP LTO5 media cartridges.

I'm calling DELL support for this issue and I wonder if You can tell me what was your case number regarding the issue You refer in this post.

It could help me on getting this go faster with DELL.

Regards,

Carlos Monteiro. 

Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Hi Carlos

Unfortunately I can't use the case number, but the response I received from Dell was:

"We advise that based on logs you captured the drives are getting damaged by the media used.  The assessment that the media is the cause for the drive damage is based on failure analysis of other drives from other cases we have seen that had the same drive dump footprint.  Those failure analysis drives exhibited media debris readily visible throughout the drive path. Drive damage is imminent if the media that led to the failure characteristics found within the provided drive dumps is continued to be used. Additionally, media not subject to shedding debris may become cross-contaminated by deposits along the tape path of an affected drive. We highly recommend that media validated by Dell and the drive manufacturer, which is IBM, Dell, and Fujifilm tape media is used to prevent further issues."

However, since our tapes have gone back to the supplier I understand that the manufacturer is not happy about this and are contesting the allegation.  There is some stuff on the internet about this issue so I don't think it is truly sorted yet.  I would be surprised if Dell are unable to give you any info on this as they immediately recognised the issue when I raised the call with them and they checked the error log from the tape drive.

Good luck and I hope this helps,

Chris

Monday, January 9, 2012 1:06 PM
  • So you were able to get the TL2000 library itself to show up in DPM 2010?  I can only get it to show the drives themselves and as stand-alone.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:55 PM
  • I had the same issue when I first tried to configure the tape loader.  It was due to a driver issue and I had the medium changer set to "Unknown Medium Changer".  The following are my settings which may help you:

I am using Windows 2008 R2 and in device manager the Tape Drive is shown as "LTO Tape drive".

The driver details are as follows:

Driver Provider: IBM Corporation

Driver Date: 13/01/2011

Driver Version: 6.2.1.5

Driver Details: ibmtp2k8.sys and ibmtpft2k8.sys

You also need to ensure the Medium Changer is NOT set to Unknown Medium Changer.  Mine appears as "IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library".

The driver details are as follows:

Driver Provider: IBM Corporation

Driver Date: 13/01/2011

Driver Version: 6.2.1.5

Driver Details:  ibmcg2k8.sys and ibmcgft2k8.sys

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any more issues and I'll see if I can give you more info,

Chris

Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Hi,

I just installed a TL2000 on windows 2008 R2, the properties of the Tape drive and The Tape Library are the same as Chris stated above. My problem is in Device Manager I see that there is a warning: Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code: 37).

Can anyone give me some tips?

Thanks,

Dvijne

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:41 AM