none
How to replace a resource from MS Project Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

One of our resource assigned to many tasks and projects and he left the company, now I want to replace him with another resource in all projects where he was assigned. How to do that? thanks.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 9:37 AM

Answers

• You could also go in the resource tab, add resources/build team from enterprise, select the old resource in the right part, the new one in the left part and click REPLACE. It should replace the resource from all assignments in the project.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by SamDany Thursday, May 31, 2018 6:34 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

You cannot bulk replace a resource by another one on all projects at a time, at least not without doing some custom code. You can only do it project by project.

• Open the project
    • From the resource tab, click on "assign resources"
    • Select the old resource, click on "replace" button
    • Select the new resource and click on "ok" button
    • Check your project planning/assignments: if the new resource has exceptions in his calendar, your schedule might have moved
    • Save and publish the project
    • Reproduce those steps for all projects with the old resource to replace

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 10:28 AM
  • Hi Guilaume,

I tried your suggestion but 'replace' button is disable when I select the old resource. Am I missing any step?

And 'replace' button is enable only if I select that particular task. But I cannot select each task to replace that resource because there are more than 100 task items for that resource. Any suggestion?

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:05 AM
  • You could also go in the resource tab, add resources/build team from enterprise, select the old resource in the right part, the new one in the left part and click REPLACE. It should replace the resource from all assignments in the project.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by SamDany Thursday, May 31, 2018 6:34 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:21 AM