none
Single Client Backup Failure on WSE 2012 R2 Network RRS feed

• Question

• We manage a small WSE 2012 R2 network with eight Windows 7 Professional workstations.  We use the WSE client backup system to back up the workstations (to an external USB drive on the server).  This function has worked very well for several years.  However, as of early May, one of the workstations consistently fails during backup attempts, whether they are started manually from the server or via the automatic scheduling system.  

Shortly after this workstation begins a backup, it fails and returns error messages such as "backup did not succeed" and "backup did not start on this volume."  Nothing has changed in terms of this workstation's drive volumes.  All three volumes are marked with red Xs by the backup system (none were backed up).  Another error in the Dashboard (which has a critical warning for this workstation) says "recent attempts to backup this computer were not successful."

There is one other odd thing I discovered recently.  All of the other workstations are backing up correctly.  They all indicate successful backup status in the Dashboard.  Only the problem workstation says "unsuccessful" in the backup status column.  However, when I check the Windows Server Essentials Computer Backup Service in the server services list (Services.Msc), that service is stopped.  When I manually start the service, it begins again.  I then see the same backup status as before, all workstations except the problem one show successful backup status.  The problem machine still says "unsuccessful."  When I then try to manually backup the problem machine, the progress percentage never gets past one percent.  Instead the server Client Backup Service shuts off again.  At that point, the Backup Status column shows "unsuccessful" for all workstations at that point (probably an artifact of trying to determine that information without the Client Backup service running).  I have been able to replicate this process several times.  I also tried to create a custom configuration for the problem machine's backup, but that did not change anything.

John

• Edited by JN92 Tuesday, June 4, 2019 7:30 PM
    Tuesday, June 4, 2019 7:29 PM

All replies

• hi,
    from your description ,there is only one win7 pro pc can not be backup on wse2012 r2.
    there are some troubleshoot steps for your referrence
    0 enter below command in command prompt on problematical(open as admin)
    sfc scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    1 Check your hard disk for errors in Windows 7
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2641432/check-your-hard-disk-for-errors-in-windows-7
    2 How to Defrag Windows 7
    https://www.wikihow.com/Defrag-Windows-7
    3 Please check the symptom in a clean boot environment if it is possible.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
    4 disable ipv6 for win7 and enter ipconfig /flush in command prompt then check the result .
    5 if the problem persist, can you uninstall connector on windows 7 and unjoin your win7 from AD domain. download and install connector then rejoin win7 to AD domain. finally ,doing the first backup for win7 ,will the problem persist?
    6 if the problem still persist ,can you replace another disk for this problematical win7 computer and clean install win7 on it .then copy files from old disk to this new disk. finally, change the hostname for this problematical win7 computer and add this computer to your domain by using connector.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 8:14 AM
  • Thank you for your response.  The first thing I am going to try is to fully remove the WSE Connector from the workstation, then reinstall it again.  However, in trying to do that in the usual Windows 7 way (Control Panel/Programs and Features) I noticed that the WSE Connector is not listed as an installed program.  Is there another way to uninstall the WSE Connector from a client workstation?

John

Sunday, June 9, 2019 3:09 PM
  • hi,
    when you open an Internet browser, such as Internet Explorer.
    In the address bar, type http://<servername>/Connect, and then press ENTER. download connector and reinstall it ,will it prompt to uninstall this connector ?

Uninstall the Connector software
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/use/get-connected-in-windows-server-essentials#BKMK_13

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 10, 2019 2:28 AM
  • Hello Andy,

Thanks for your response.  I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting here.  First of all, the MS document you pointed me to says this:

"You can uninstall the Connector software from a computer by using the Control Panel."

This is exactly the problem I am having.  The Essentials Connector is not listed as a program in the Control Panel and therefore cannot be removed via the usual Control Panel process.

I am also not sure what you are saying with your first suggestion.  Do you mean that installing a new Connector via the web browser will *automatically* remove any existing Connector software?  If not, what will happen if I go ahead and install a new Connector over the existing one?  Will this process "prompt to uninstall this connector?" as you say above?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

John

Monday, June 10, 2019 1:29 PM
  • Hi John
    7 If not, what will happen if I go ahead and install a new Connector over the existing one? 
    by my researching , it will prompt you to add this computer to domain again but this problematical computer account have been existent in essentials AD domain.so finally it will fail.
    8 Will this process "prompt to uninstall this connector?" as you say above?
    NO.
    9 I have tried below method to uninstall essentials connector in order to simulate your issue, but this method also fail.
    I try to find uninstall app for essentials connector in drive C , i also can not find it.
    Program Is Not Listed in Add/Remove Programs After Installation
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/247515/program-is-not-listed-in-add-remove-programs-after-installation
    10 abase on above statement. I think we can backup end user's all important data on problematical computer  to external usb disk first . then try below method
    method 1
       (1)unjoin the problematical computer from essentials domain then reboot client system
       (2)change the problematical computer hostname then reboot client system
       (3)download and install connector from http://<servername>/Connect website
       (4)try to do first backup for this win7 on essential dashboard and check if your title problem persist
    method 2
     if the problem still persist ,can you replace another disk for this problematical win7 computer and clean install win7 on it .then copy files from old disk to this new disk. finally, change the hostname for this problematical win7 computer and add this computer to your domain by using connector.
    (if you have no another disk for problematical win7 computer ,we can only clean install win7.finally, change the hostname for this problematical win7 computer and add this computer to your domain by using connector. )

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:17 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for taking the time needed to research this problem.  I appreciate it.  There is one new development I'd like to make you aware of.  I decided to try the client backup process from the workstation via the Launchpad application.  As when I tried backing up the client from the server, the process seemed to time out and eventually returned a failure error message.  However, the launchpad message details indicated that the failure was caused by an inability of the workstation to connect to the server.  Here is the exact message:

In fact, the workstation IS connected to the server, as indicated in numerous ways.  When I hover over the Launchpad app on the workstation with the mouse point, text appears saying "connected to SERVER (which is the server name).  At this time, I also have several mapped drives successfully connecting the workstation and server.  I am able to run programs on the server from desktop icons on the workstation, etc.  For some reason, though, the backup process cannot locate the server and times out after trying for a certain interval.  Perhaps a certain backup-related service is not functioning properly (or running).

I hope this additional information is helpful to you in analyzing the root cause of this problem.

Thanks again.

John

Friday, June 14, 2019 2:19 PM
  • Andy,

Here is another error message I just received when attempting to back up the problem workstation from the workstation Launchpad program:

John

Friday, June 14, 2019 3:53 PM
  • hi,
    did you use step 10 to reinstall your win7 computer ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:24 AM
  • I will be going to the site with the problem workstation (no WSE client computer backup) next week and will try your suggestions then. This week I have created and tested several image backups of the problem machine, just in case something goes awry with the fix. Did the two specific error messages I sent above provide any additional clarity about the probable underlying cause of the difficulty? Thanks again for your assistance.

John

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:19 PM
  • My initial plan is to remove the WSE connector from the problem client workstation.  The workstation is part of the WSE domain at present.  In addition to uninstalling the Connector, should I also disjoin the workstation from the Essentials domain?  The reason i ask this is that I seem to recall being asked about domain joining during the Connector installation process.  Finally, what about removing the workstation from the WSE server via dashboard/devices?  Is there any particular order I should do these operations in (uninstall WSE Connector, disjoin from WSE domain, remove workstation from WSE dashboard)?

Once this has been completed, I will reinstall the WSE connector again from scratch.  Will I need to rejoin the domain again?  This is a Windows 7 machine.  Should I copy over the user profile data again as part of the Connector installation process or will it still be there from the initial Connector installation?  I do not want to have the workstation user lose all of her profile settings (desktop icons, etc.).

Thanks.  

John

Thursday, June 20, 2019 8:48 PM
  • hi,

"My initial plan is to remove the WSE connector from the problem client workstation"
    we can not find WSE connector from control panel\program\pragram and feature so uninstalling WSE connector become difficult.
    Is there any particular order I should do these operations in (uninstall WSE Connector, disjoin from WSE domain, remove workstation from WSE dashboard)?
    yes,this order is right.Then follow my previous post step 10.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Saturday, June 29, 2019 10:24 AM