Windows not saving settings. RRS feed

• Question

• PC = Windows 7 Pro 64-bit desktop.

For about the last 1-2 weeks, after I login, Mouse and Keyboard Centre spends about 5-10 seconds "downloading" then installing an updated, every login, then disappears from the screen.

At the same time, my network connection is "identifying". It does this every time I login now, even though it is the same network, and nothing has changed on the network.

It's like the PC has forgotten some of its settings, and needs to be auto-configured again each time.

In event viewer > system is:

Event 7006: The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for Start with the following error: Access is denied.

Is this a process that tries to write to the registry, and fails due to access problems?

If I expand the event in XML format, I see:

enter image description here

If I search the registry for "9C38ED61-D565-4728-AEEE-C80952F0ECDE", I see:

enter image description here

Troubleshooting tips welcome.

• Edited by SRD75 Saturday, November 7, 2015 4:53 AM
    Saturday, November 7, 2015 4:49 AM

Answers

• I would like suggest you try the following methods:

-uninstalling the driver in device manager, and the software in Control Panel Programs.
    -unplugging and plug the keyboard and mouse, then reboot and reinstalling the software .

Refer to the link to download the drivers

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads/mouse-keyboard-center 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi 

Issue looks like some process is going on in the background and trying to authenticate something

Did u done any hardware or software change ?

May i know any antivirus software are you using ? 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, November 9, 2015 3:40 PM
  • Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for your asisstance.

I made no h/w or s/w changes.

I am using ZoneAlarm Free AV & Firewall.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 5:42 AM
  • Hi SRD75,

First of all, please ensure the machine has got the latest updates.

According to my research, the similar error is usually related to the antivirus software. We could try to turn off the antivirus software temporarily to have a check.

I have checked the permissions properties of this specific registry key.
    The "TrustedInstaller" take full control of this registry key and the others should have the "Read" permissions to this registry key.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:40 AM
  • Hi Meipo Xu.

Thanks for your assistance.

I turned off Zone Alarm Security and prevented it from loading at next boot.

I turned off all non-essential services, and did a Clean Boot.

The network identified itself much quicker this time, but the Microsoft Keyboard & Mouse center opened each time, and downloaded for 3 seconds, before installing in 0.5 seconds.

There are no more critical alerts or errors in the Event Log > System.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 12:51 PM
  • I would like suggest you try the following methods:

-uninstalling the driver in device manager, and the software in Control Panel Programs.
    -unplugging and plug the keyboard and mouse, then reboot and reinstalling the software .

Refer to the link to download the drivers

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads/mouse-keyboard-center 

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 1:38 PM
  • Hi SRD75,

So the system error issue is caused by the antivirus software, right?

For the keyboard issue, please refer to Mohammed Akheel`s suggestion to have a check.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 2:53 AM
  • Hi SRD75 

Include Your networks in the Trusted Zone in the ZoneAlarm Free AV & Firewall.So that your network gets identified very quick 

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 12:08 PM