Windows Task Scheduler not working RRS feed

• Question

• The Windows Task Scheduler was working fine in Windows Server 2016 TP4 but appears to be broken in TP5. Whenever I add tasks and force them to run on demand, I get the following error:

"Task Scheduler service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it."

I looked in the Services and found that Task Scheduler is indeed running, so I'm confused as to why this appears to be broken.

Any suggestions?

Friday, May 6, 2016 1:28 PM

All replies

• Just setup and run a Task on TP5 it ran fine. Ran it manually to check it, ok, and it ran on schedule ok. TP5 is a domain controller logged it with a domain admin. Very simple task batch file to pipe some text into a file, so the files exists so I also know it run that way.

Have you tried as another user?

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:34 AM
    Saturday, May 7, 2016 5:38 PM
  • The Windows Task Scheduler was working fine in Windows Server 2016 TP4 but appears to be broken in TP5. Whenever I add tasks and force them to run on demand, I get the following error:

"Task Scheduler service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it."

I looked in the Services and found that Task Scheduler is indeed running, so I'm confused as to why this appears to be broken.

Any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem with a TP5 VM I just deployed in Azure...haven't figured it out yet.
    Saturday, May 7, 2016 8:01 PM
  • Hi,
    I agree with Mr Happy that you could test with another user account. Also, I would suggest you run sfc /scannow command to check if there are system files corrupted and you could use process monitor tool to determine which process is causing the issue:https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Wendy Jiang Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:34 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2016 5:33 AM
  • So I just nuked the TP5 virtual machine I created in Azure, and created another one from the MS template.  I created a new user account, signed in with that account, created a task, and then tried to run it...got the same error.

Either something is goofed up with this specific Azure template, or there's a problem with fresh installs of TP5.

Monday, May 9, 2016 5:05 PM
  • Tried Task Scheduler on two TP5 machines now both fresh installed both work. The media is from the TechNet Evaluation Center, ISO, and both installed as guests on Hyper-V Server (also happens to be TP5). Have noticed sfc does not run for me on either machines, cannot start the repair service.

Be interested in knowing what media the OP uses or what results anyone else gets trying Task Scheduler on TP5.

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Monday, May 9, 2016 7:21 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2016 7:21 PM
  • Indeed, when I attempt to run sfc in an elevated command prompt, it returns "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service."

FWIW the Azure template is the Datacenter edition.

I have an MSDN ISO of TP5...will try that next.  Hopefully the OP can chime in with more info.

Monday, May 9, 2016 7:58 PM
  • Folks, is there any update on this? We are encountering this issue when we create a recurring task (indefinite or with end date). We are not encountering this issue when it is configured to run once. Thanks!
    Thursday, June 30, 2016 10:16 AM