Sidebar Weather Wont Update RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone else having this issue?  My sidebar weather wont update unless the computer is first started, rebooted, the sidebar is restarted.
    Wednesday, October 4, 2006 10:34 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem. Well, actually, if I right click on the weather gadget, choose options and then just click OK, the weather gadget updates the information. But I have to do that on all my weather gadgets.

Sometimes it updates if I drag the gadget from the Sidebar to the desktop or vice versa.

But, come to think of it, it seems as the weather gadget updates at some point, but not all of them, and not often enough. It can show a moon when it's afternoon.

/Megalobrainiac

Saturday, October 14, 2006 5:42 PM

• I have gone in an edited the weather.js (java file) and I have gotten it to update at least once per hour, but the code is not perfect as it should, when changed, be allowed to update every 10 mins or so. But the biggest problem is the source -- the source of the weather is from MSN. What happens is that MSN gets the weather from NOAA and then it has to update the MSN site, then the weather gadget has to get the new data from MSN and update the weather gadget. All of this can take upto 45 mins to update and then by then the hourly update provided by NOAA has become outdated.

If you want to edit the java code it is rather simple. First make a backup of your weather gadget folder and keep it in a safe place. Next cut the weather gadget out of the folder: C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\ and put it on the desktop or another drive.
    Once there you should be able to edit the file. In the folder \Weather.Gadget\en-US\js\ you will find the weather.js file.
    Right click on it and choose EDIT.
    Change the line (near the top) var gDefaultRefreshInterval = 60; to something like: var gDefaultRefreshInterval = 16
    Then scroll down to the area that says refreshSettings -. 
    You should see a line that reads: self.refreshInterval = ( self.refreshInterval || gDefaultRefreshInterval ) * 60 * 1000; change that line to something like self.refreshInterval = ( self.refreshInterval || gDefaultRefreshInterval ) * 15 * 1000;
    Close, save, and copy the folder back into your C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\ folder. Open up your sidebar and add your weather gadget(s) and it should update at least twice per hour...but like I mentioned the code is not perfect as setting the refresh rates lower does not cause the gadgets to update more frequently.
    Saturday, October 14, 2006 11:44 PM