none
DNS

Question

• My office is a child domain in a Forest.  We will be migrating to the main forest domain shortly.  Part of that change is needing to append the DNS Suffex for Outlook.  My question is.  Without touching the end user workstations (Win7) Can and how do I create a DNS GPO  so our child domain level is first then Forest Domain name.  My thinking is.  If I could achieve this whether using a DNS access list or DNS Devolusion I would then have this GPO part of The Forest GPO for our OU.  I'm just hoping I don't need to touch all workstations individually.  All Servers are WIN 2008R2

Thx

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 8:14 PM

Answers

• Create Group Policy Object and assign it to OU in your domain where computer objects are located. Go to "Computer Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates | Network | DNS Client". By specifying "Primary DNS Suffix" you assign DNS suffix for all workstation that are located in your domain OU. Also configure "DNS Suffix Search List" to have proper DNS resolution.

What about migration to new domain sure you can create GPO and assign to your dedicated OU. There is no need to touch all workstations individually. Use Group Policy in your case.

• Marked as answer by Porchia Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:30 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:20 PM

All replies

• Create Group Policy Object and assign it to OU in your domain where computer objects are located. Go to "Computer Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates | Network | DNS Client". By specifying "Primary DNS Suffix" you assign DNS suffix for all workstation that are located in your domain OU. Also configure "DNS Suffix Search List" to have proper DNS resolution.

What about migration to new domain sure you can create GPO and assign to your dedicated OU. There is no need to touch all workstations individually. Use Group Policy in your case.

• Marked as answer by Porchia Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:30 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:20 PM
  • Thank you very much for you help.  This is exactly what I wanted.  I knew we didn't need to touch all PC's but just wasn't completely sure how to go about it.  Again thank you.  To answer your question. Yes. We create all GPO's for our site and submit them and then it is added. 
    • Edited by Porchia Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:41 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:41 PM