none
Project Server 2010 fails when creating project site that uses a custom template RRS feed

• Question

• So here is what I've done, I have created some site collection scoped site columns content types and deployed them to PWA. I then created a custom site template that derives from default project server project site template and added new lists based on the content types and some event receivers, delegate controls, etc. It works when I create the sites manually but when PWA creates the sites, I get the following error: // Begin Error General CreateWssSiteContent: Creating project site failed! Project Uid=7cb7c75c-dd50-42e0-a474-35f33aad4bc1, site URL=http://usadc-vsrpmd07/pwa2/06132011_1, site name=06132011_1. System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8107058A): <nativehr>0x8107058a</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object. at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId)Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8107058A): <nativehr>0x8107058a</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object. at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPGlobal.HandleComException(COMException comEx) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.ApplyWebTemplate(String strWebTemplate) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.CreateWeb(String strUrl, String strTitle, String strDescription, UInt32 nLCID, String strWebTemplate, Boolean bCreateUniqueSubweb, Boolean bConvertIfThere, Guid webId, Guid rootFolderId, Boolean createSystemCatalogs) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.SPWebCollectionProvider.CreateWeb(String strWebUrl, String strTitle, String strDescription, UInt32 nLCID, String strWebTemplate, Boolean bCreateUniqueSubweb, Boolean bConvertIfThere) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWebCollection.Add(String strWebUrl, String strTitle, String strDescription, UInt32 nLCID, String strWebTemplate, Boolean useUniquePermissions, Boolean bConvertIfThere) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Admin.CreateSPWeb(SPSite topSite, String spWebUrl, String spWebName, String spWebDescription, String spWebLogoUrl, Int32 webTemplateLCID, String webTemplateName, String& errorMessage): WSSCreateSiteFailure (16400). Details: id='16400' name='WSSCreateSiteFailure' uid='3b8ce8bb-8ab3-4728-a7f7-0b7c92a5e19f' projectUID='7cb7c75c-dd50-42e0-a474-35f33aad4bc1' workspaceUrl='http://usadc-vsrpmd07/pwa2/06132011_1/06132011_1' projectWorkspaceName='06132011_1'. Queue: GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - CreateWssSite.CreateWssSiteMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='b1940dd9-c86e-4192-bcc8-e4d254bea02c' JobUID='9ad0ff57-7f00-494b-bcae-4e7bcf330588' ComputerName='USADC-VSRPMD07' GroupType='CreateWssSite' MessageType='CreateWssSiteMessage' MessageId='1' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine USADC-VSRPMD07 for entries with JobUID 9ad0ff57-7f00-494b-bcae-4e7bcf330588. // End Error I have dug through the ULS log and nothing helpful is there. I have verified that the content type feature is there and activated.
    - John
    Monday, June 13, 2011 12:20 PM

Answers

• Thanks Alexander and Andre for the suggestions and comments.

It turned out that my Project Server sandbox had McAfee Solidifier installed on it and it was preventing Project Server to load custom DLL's that the custom SharePoint site template was using.  I overlooked it in the event log because McAfee was throwing out errors about numerous applications.  I should of spent the hours wading through the hundreds of McAfee errors the first day.

I have been on vacation the last week so I don't know for sure if McAfee was the source of all our issues.  I will find out tomorrow.

BPI-Eng, can you create your a site based off of your custom template from SharePoint instead of Project Server?

Thanks, - John
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:22 PM

All replies

• Okay, I posted above using chrome and it removed all my formatting.

Here is my repost:

So here is what I've done, I have created some site collection scoped site columns content types and deployed them to PWA.

I then created a custom site template that derives from default project server project site template and added new lists based on the content types and some event receivers, delegate controls, etc.

It works when I create the sites manually but when PWA creates the sites, I get the following error:

//Begin Error

General
    CreateWssSiteContent: Creating project site failed! Project Uid=7cb7c75c-dd50-42e0-a474-35f33aad4bc1, site URL=http://usadc-vsrpmd07/pwa2/06132011_1, site name=06132011_1. System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8107058A): <nativehr>0x8107058a</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object. at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId)Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8107058A): <nativehr>0x8107058a</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object. at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPGlobal.HandleComException(COMException comEx) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.ApplyWebTemplate(String strWebTemplate) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.CreateWeb(String strUrl, String strTitle, String strDescription, UInt32 nLCID, String strWebTemplate, Boolean bCreateUniqueSubweb, Boolean bConvertIfThere, Guid webId, Guid rootFolderId, Boolean createSystemCatalogs) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.SPWebCollectionProvider.CreateWeb(String strWebUrl, String strTitle, String strDescription, UInt32 nLCID, String strWebTemplate, Boolean bCreateUniqueSubweb, Boolean bConvertIfThere) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWebCollection.Add(String strWebUrl, String strTitle, String strDescription, UInt32 nLCID, String strWebTemplate, Boolean useUniquePermissions, Boolean bConvertIfThere) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Admin.CreateSPWeb(SPSite topSite, String spWebUrl, String spWebName, String spWebDescription, String spWebLogoUrl, Int32 webTemplateLCID, String webTemplateName, String& errorMessage):
    WSSCreateSiteFailure (16400). Details: id='16400' name='WSSCreateSiteFailure' uid='3b8ce8bb-8ab3-4728-a7f7-0b7c92a5e19f' projectUID='7cb7c75c-dd50-42e0-a474-35f33aad4bc1' workspaceUrl='http://usadc-vsrpmd07/pwa2/06132011_1/06132011_1' projectWorkspaceName='06132011_1'.
    Queue:
    GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - CreateWssSite.CreateWssSiteMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='b1940dd9-c86e-4192-bcc8-e4d254bea02c' JobUID='9ad0ff57-7f00-494b-bcae-4e7bcf330588' ComputerName='USADC-VSRPMD07' GroupType='CreateWssSite' MessageType='CreateWssSiteMessage' MessageId='1' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine USADC-VSRPMD07 for entries with JobUID 9ad0ff57-7f00-494b-bcae-4e7bcf330588.

//End Error

I have dug through the ULS log and nothing helpful is there.

I have verified that the content type feature is there and activated.

Any ideas?

- John
    Monday, June 13, 2011 12:23 PM
  • I would suggest cranking the ULS up to verbose and seeing what is logged out whcih may give you a better idea.

Also, are you using anything out of the norm on your site? Claims, FBA etc?

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, June 17, 2011 10:29 PM
  • John,

You have not perhaps created the workspace template from a site taht already contained data ?

Andre

Monday, June 20, 2011 8:45 AM
  • We're having the same issue.  New project creation based on a EPT works when the EPT is using the out-of-the-box Standard Project Site template.  EPTs that use custom SP site templates fail to create the SP site even if the SP template is an exact copy of the Standard Project Site template (w/o any customizations.)

Using custom SP site templates in EPTs used to work OK for us before we installed the April-CU and the latest version of Solution Starters.

CreateWssSiteContent: Creating project site failed! Project Uid=439a4bc9-797b-46e1-bed2-4f2265ab17b5, site URL=http://projects.local/PWA/AgileNoWkfl, site name=AgileNoWkfl. System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8107058A): <nativehr>0x8107058a</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId)Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8107058A): <nativehr>0x8107058a</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPGlobal.HandleComException(COMException comEx) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String bstrWebTemplateContent, Int32 fWebTemplateContentFromSubweb, Int32 fDeleteGlobalListsWithWebTemplateContent, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.ApplyWebTemplate(String strWebTemplate) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.CreateWeb(String strUrl, String strTitle, String strDescription, UInt32 nLCID, String strWebTemplate, Boolean bCreateUniqueSubweb, Boolean bConvertIfThere, Guid webId, Guid rootFolderId, Boolean createSystemCatalogs) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.SPWebCollectionProvider.CreateWeb(String strWebUrl, String strTitle, String strDescription, UInt32 nLCID, String strWebTemplate, Boolean bCreateUniqueSubweb, Boolean bConvertIfThere) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWebCollection.Add(String strWebUrl, String strTitle, String strDescription, UInt32 nLCID, String strWebTemplate, Boolean useUniquePermissions, Boolean bConvertIfThere) at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Admin.CreateSPWeb(SPSite topSite, String spWebUrl, String spWebName, String spWebDescription, String spWebLogoUrl, Int32 webTemplateLCID, String webTemplateName, String& errorMessage):
    WSSCreateSiteFailure (16400). Details: id='16400' name='WSSCreateSiteFailure' uid='c25c161f-f390-4a0b-8186-bb9ca02b5cd5' projectUID='439a4bc9-797b-46e1-bed2-4f2265ab17b5' workspaceUrl='http://projects.local/PWA/AgileNoWkfl/AgileNoWkfl' projectWorkspaceName='AgileNoWkfl'.
    Queue:
    GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - CreateWssSite.CreateWssSiteMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='f4700789-410c-400c-bfc5-39bcec8d49b2' JobUID='1a091569-8e0c-47a9-9e86-6a4c78c53573' ComputerName='APP1' GroupType='CreateWssSite' MessageType='CreateWssSiteMessage' MessageId='1' Stage=''. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine APP1 for entries with JobUID 1a091569-8e0c-47a9-9e86-6a4c78c53573.

• Edited by BPI-Eng Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:40 AM mask server name
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Thanks Alexander and Andre for the suggestions and comments.

It turned out that my Project Server sandbox had McAfee Solidifier installed on it and it was preventing Project Server to load custom DLL's that the custom SharePoint site template was using.  I overlooked it in the event log because McAfee was throwing out errors about numerous applications.  I should of spent the hours wading through the hundreds of McAfee errors the first day.

I have been on vacation the last week so I don't know for sure if McAfee was the source of all our issues.  I will find out tomorrow.

BPI-Eng, can you create your a site based off of your custom template from SharePoint instead of Project Server?

Thanks, - John
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:22 PM
  • John,

I have been facing this same problem.  Anytime I use any template other than the Default Microsoft, I get the same problem.  Noticed that the servers are also using McAfee.  Do you recall what you changed to get this to work?

Friday, July 29, 2011 2:59 PM
  • mkbranch,

I had to have McAfee Solidifier uninstalled from the servers.

You also have to make sure your custom template is built from the default Project Server Site template.

We also found out that it helps to restart the Project Server Services when deploying code changes.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks, - John
    Friday, July 29, 2011 3:36 PM
  • John, yes - I was able to create a site using my custom template from SharePoint but not from PWA.  What ended up solving the issue for me was stopping and re-starting the Project Application Service from Central Admin on each app server in my farm.  I'm not sure how or why - all servers in the farm have been rebooted a couple of times prior to that has not resolved the problem.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:45 AM
  • BPI-Eng, we have added stopping and restarting the project server services as part of the deployment plan and everything has worked since.  Still not sure what the primary issue is.  

Thanks, - John
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:53 AM