none
Question You are subscribed to this thread Applies to Windows Windows 10 Files, folders, & storage PC 6 views Expresscared SD card is write protected & inbuilt SD card reader does not detect the storage device

Question

•   

I was asked by answers.Microsoft.com to refer this question to this forum.

BTW there doesn't seem to be an option for Windows 10 forum. So I  had to choose Windows 8.

1st of all everything was fine until 2nd of December.

My Laptop installation of Winodw 7 and then upgraded to 10 was configured from the start to have the USER folders (u sing a script provided by Microsoft) on an SD card through an Expresscared media read/write because my system disk is a 64gig SSD ( which BTW means that system restore has been disabled).

on 3rd of December when:

1. I turned the machine on it couldn'the read my user profile.
    2. I tried to login in safe mode but I got sihost warning: unknown hard Error! 
    3. But I got into prompt screen and ran diskpart
    4. There is an inbuilt SD card reader slot in the machine where I store large download
    5. But the system could only see the main SSD and the expresscared SD card with user folders on it
    6. I ran sfc /scannow &  then DISM and the sfc /scannow again until both were successful.
    7. But again diskpart  only detected the SSD and Expresscard SD card
    8. But the attributes on the SD card claims that Current state read-only : Yes although read-only flag is No.
    9. I have checked the SD card on other machines and it is not write protected
    10. I have tried introducing writeprotected entry in the registry with values of 0 and 1 without success
    11. I have tried everything else that I could in Safe mode but other than what is expected in safemode (e.g. Basic Filtering service and kaspersky power service don't run in safe mode) everything else seems fine I.e. driver updates, hardware troubleshooting run successfully. But I still get sihost warning, I also get "need a new application turn run ms-get...) which means I can only work from command line environment.

I have tried to roll back to the previous built and automatic repairs but nothing works.

So why:

1. The SD card in the Expresscard is write protected?
    2. Why the inbuilt SD card is not even detected?

Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:43 AM

All replies

•   

I was asked by answers.Microsoft.com to refer this question to this forum.

BTW there doesn't seem to be an option for Windows 10 forum. So I  had to choose Windows 8.

1st of all everything was fine until 2nd of December.

My Laptop installation of Winodw 7 and then upgraded to 10 was configured from the start to have the USER folders (u sing a script provided by Microsoft) on an SD card through an Expresscared media read/write because my system disk is a 64gig SSD ( which BTW means that system restore has been disabled).

on 3rd of December when:

1. I turned the machine on it couldn'the read my user profile.
    2. I tried to login in safe mode but I got sihost warning: unknown hard Error! 
    3. But I got into prompt screen and ran diskpart
    4. There is an inbuilt SD card reader slot in the machine where I store large download
    5. But the system could only see the main SSD and the expresscared SD card with user folders on it
    6. I ran sfc /scannow &  then DISM and the sfc /scannow again until both were successful.
    7. But again diskpart  only detected the SSD and Expresscard SD card
    8. But the attributes on the SD card claims that Current state read-only : Yes although read-only flag is No.
    9. I have checked the SD card on other machines and it is not write protected
    10. I have tried introducing writeprotected entry in the registry with values of 0 and 1 without success
    11. I have tried everything else that I could in Safe mode but other than what is expected in safemode (e.g. Basic Filtering service and kaspersky power service don't run in safe mode) everything else seems fine I.e. driver updates, hardware troubleshooting run successfully. But I still get sihost warning, I also get "need a new application turn run ms-get...) which means I can only work from command line environment.

I have tried to roll back to the previous built and automatic repairs but nothing works.

So why:

1. The SD card in the Expresscard is write protected?
    2. Why the inbuilt SD card is not even detected?

First of all could someone tell me why my above question has been ignored?

Secondly I tried to check the hardware by booting up from another hard disk with fresh Windows 10 installation which worked fine but when I went back the original boot I started getting blue screen error 0xc000021a.

Now I can't even login and the only interface available to me is the kernell mode under Advanced Trouble shooting prompt option where SFC on the X: drive is giving ownership overlap errors on five directories.

I understand that this is to prevent unautorised access. But I have Admin password. So is there a way that I can login? chkdsk returns OK and Winlogon.exe and csrss.exe both have write dates that go back to November and July 2016. So they couldn't have been corrupted.

Could at least someone aknowledge reading my questions and tell me if it is time to reinstall the OS and all the applications again.

Awaiting a response

Babak

• Edited by twoJakes Saturday, December 24, 2016 8:29 AM
    Saturday, December 24, 2016 6:55 AM