Windows 8 boot issue RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a new windows 8 computer November of 2012. It was fine until January, now it take 10 minutes to boot up and the buttons lag on the password screen. Windows 8 is really bugging me because my bios and whatever is up-to-date. I have a Thinkpad t530 with rapid boot which usually boots in 15 seconds. Now it's just horse shit. I've also been getting blue screen a lot. What should I do because if I don't have a solution then I'm moving back to Windows 7. I'm being honest, I've been lying to myself for two weeks saying it's a new operating system, but Windows 8's performance is unacceptable.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:28 AM

Answers

• The Intel Rapid Start Technology (IRST) is definately the culprit on my system.

Disabling it in the BIOS allows the system to sleep / hibernate & Resume without error as expected under Windows.

I.E system will 'sleep' through the night and resume without issue in the morning. If hibernate after x mins is set, then system hibernates as expected and resumes without issue.

The Intel Rapid Start is still not functioning correctly, there is a 8GB partition set aside on the SSD, and I have flashed to latest BIOS re-run IRST setup etc, BIOS defaults etc. But whenever enabled causes the system to 'die' losing unsaved work.

I am pursuing the IRST with Dell Technical Support as I want it working, however I will mark this thread as answered, as IRST was not the subject.

Update 23rd Jan - Dell have replaced the Motherboard and now Intel Rapid Start working correctly.
    • Proposed as answer by Graham Laws Monday, January 21, 2013 5:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:05 AM
    • Edited by Graham Laws Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:42 PM Hardware Issue - now resolved.
    Monday, January 21, 2013 12:14 AM

All replies

• I made a guide how to trace the boot/shutdown/hibernation in DETAIL:

Trace why Windows 8 boots, shutsdown or hibernate slowly
    http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158252-trace-why-windows-8-boots-shutsdown-or-hibernate-slowly/

If you're unsure, zip and upload the ETL file (compressed as RAR or 7z).

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:48 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks, I'll take a look at it.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:19 AM
  • Andre,

Sorry to jump into this thread, but your post looked like you might be able to help?

I have a sleep/hibernate issue - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/4828857c-1f53-45bc-9d48-5ca8b34b416a

Could you take a look at my etl's? (The boot one is still uploading 173MB)

Public

rgds
    Graham

Friday, January 18, 2013 5:13 PM
  • The hibernation file looks fine.

resuming and suspending is fast. from the thread I can see that normal hibernation is fine, so I can't see anything.

The boot takes a but long because it looks like you've installed Updates which delayed WinLogonInt phase (trustedInstaller, TiWorker activity):

<interval name="WinlogonInit" startTime="3833" endTime="37404" duration="33571">

Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:14 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Andre,

Thanks for taking a look.

I don't know if you got chance to read the symptom on the other thread? http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/4828857c-1f53-45bc-9d48-5ca8b34b416a

The boot fails when the system is left in sleep mode for an extended period (e.g. overnight).

When you initiate re-start or hibernate manually (or it seems via the utility) all is fine, the only issue, is when the system is left in sleep. How can I capture a 'boot log' of this condition?

Last night I restored from Factory Image (around 12am). I did then intall Windows updates (perhaps a bad move).

Closed the lid, went to sleep.
    Opened this morning, boot failed.

The Event log shows:
    @09:15:10 ID 20 - The last shutdown's success status was false. The last boot's success status was true.

So the system appears to 'power down' after a period whilst in 'sleep' on battery. But as this is not 'hibernate' or a 'shut down' hence the issue on boot.

Thanks

G

Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:49 AM
  • I have no idea, because I never work this way. I always select hibernate myself and everything works fine.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:52 AM
    Answerer
  • The Intel Rapid Start Technology (IRST) is definately the culprit on my system.

Disabling it in the BIOS allows the system to sleep / hibernate & Resume without error as expected under Windows.

I.E system will 'sleep' through the night and resume without issue in the morning. If hibernate after x mins is set, then system hibernates as expected and resumes without issue.

The Intel Rapid Start is still not functioning correctly, there is a 8GB partition set aside on the SSD, and I have flashed to latest BIOS re-run IRST setup etc, BIOS defaults etc. But whenever enabled causes the system to 'die' losing unsaved work.

I am pursuing the IRST with Dell Technical Support as I want it working, however I will mark this thread as answered, as IRST was not the subject.

Update 23rd Jan - Dell have replaced the Motherboard and now Intel Rapid Start working correctly.
    • Proposed as answer by Graham Laws Monday, January 21, 2013 5:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:05 AM
    • Edited by Graham Laws Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:42 PM Hardware Issue - now resolved.
    Monday, January 21, 2013 12:14 AM