How to remove a duplicate version for a Document library in MOSS RRS feed

• Question

• We have created a document library with versioning in MOSS.

When document status is not checked out (i.e., check-in status), if I edit and save the document, 2 versions are creating, instead of one version. (Have seen in the version history)

How can I remove/stop duplicate version?

- GEM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, based on my experience, I guess you could use WSS 3.0 at work to manage design documents for our systems. You work in a parallel environment which means we usually have a production copy of a document (e.g Doc A) plus also two or more versions of that document that will be worked on by independent project teams (Doc A (proj 1) & Doc A (proj 2)), we have in the past achieved this by keeping the documents in seperate site collections, however this is very messy and over time has become extremely hard to keep track of the latest versions.

Best Regards
    David Hu

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:27 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 1:31 AM
  • I heared that is it a known issue and, it has resolved in the current product.

- GEM

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, May 6, 2011 6:28 AM Reference to SP 2010 removed. Replaced by "current product" as the lesser evil. There should be no references to SP 2010 in the pre-SP 2010 forums.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, May 6, 2011 6:29 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 5:54 AM

All replies

• You can't. That's the way it works. One version when you open for editing and one version when you save.
    SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:28 PM
  • Thanks for the reply..

But, it is creating only one version in my local VPC.

and, it is creating two verstions in the developement environment.

What could be the reason?

- GEM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, based on my experience, I guess you could use WSS 3.0 at work to manage design documents for our systems. You work in a parallel environment which means we usually have a production copy of a document (e.g Doc A) plus also two or more versions of that document that will be worked on by independent project teams (Doc A (proj 1) & Doc A (proj 2)), we have in the past achieved this by keeping the documents in seperate site collections, however this is very messy and over time has become extremely hard to keep track of the latest versions.

Best Regards
    David Hu

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:27 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 1:31 AM
  • I heared that is it a known issue and, it has resolved in the current product.

- GEM

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, May 6, 2011 6:28 AM Reference to SP 2010 removed. Replaced by "current product" as the lesser evil. There should be no references to SP 2010 in the pre-SP 2010 forums.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, May 6, 2011 6:29 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 5:54 AM