cant download files in IE11 (Windows 8.1), view downloads does do anything either RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I can not download any files on IE11. When click "download" on email attachments, nothing happens whatsoever! I have checked security settings and download is enabled. "View download" does not work either, again nothing happens when I click it.  Any ideas what might me causing this? Can download same email attachments in Chrome.

Sunday, May 3, 2015 8:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As you mentioned to download email attachments, please let us know the page you are accessing. 

Sometimes a website needs add-ons for some functions so please also test to download something else to see if downloading function is working or not. For example you can test to download an update from Microsoft such as clicking here.

It is a DirectX web installation file from Microsoft. This is just for testing. You can delete the downloaded file once confirm it could be downloaded. 

If issue persists, test to add target website to Trusted Site in IE - Internet Options - Security - Trusted sites - Sites button - Add.

If it still not work, also please test to hold Shift + Ctrl and click P key to open IE in Private mode. See if file could be downloaded.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 4, 2015 8:10 AM

All replies

• When click "download" on email attachments, nothing happens whatsoever!

You could use the Developer Tools to help refine your symptom description.   ; )

"View download" does not work either, again nothing happens when I click it.

That may be more significant.  But what exactly does it mean?  E.g. pressing Ctrl-j?  pressing Alt-x n?

Related to this you should try opening  shell:Downloads  and then, assuming that opens a File Explorer window, pressing Alt-d to verify that that User Shell Folder is pointing where you expect.

Otherwise I would be running ProcMon to try to figure out what was happening/not happening but in order to do that efficiently it would help to have a trace of it working normally too for comparison purposes.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, May 3, 2015 11:51 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

As you mentioned to download email attachments, please let us know the page you are accessing. 

Sometimes a website needs add-ons for some functions so please also test to download something else to see if downloading function is working or not. For example you can test to download an update from Microsoft such as clicking here.

It is a DirectX web installation file from Microsoft. This is just for testing. You can delete the downloaded file once confirm it could be downloaded. 

If issue persists, test to add target website to Trusted Site in IE - Internet Options - Security - Trusted sites - Sites button - Add.

If it still not work, also please test to hold Shift + Ctrl and click P key to open IE in Private mode. See if file could be downloaded.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 4, 2015 8:10 AM