none
Win7 Updates are VERY slow to download

Question

• I have a Core2Duo 2.4Ghz w/4GB ram, and connected with a  dryloop DSL with a max download speed of about 500kbps.

Everything downloads fine, Firefox, Flash, AVG updates etc... but anything Microsoft takes a VERY long time.

Now here's the thing, system came with Win7 Ultimate, which turned out to be pirated... but, never had a download issue. Went out and bought Win7 64bit Pro, and last night did a full format and install. With this new/legal copy of Win7 updates are very very slow to download. In fact, even downloading Messenger Live 2011 (MSN) took way longer than it should have. Yet, using speed tests and downloading other programs like CDBurnerXP and the ATI Catalyst software (separate from when downloading updates) they downloaded full speed in no time.

So... my question is... why is my fresh install of Win7 taking hours to download updates instead of having them all downloaded and installed within the hour?

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I guess you were trying to install the update via Automatic Update. Automatic Updates can take days to download the updates, depending on server demand. Time taken by Windows updates depend on the type of Internet connection you have and the size and number of updates your computer needs.

However, updates are automatically downloaded behind the scenes when you're online. They do not interfere with other downloads, and if you disconnect they will continue to download in the background the next time you go online.

I suggest you installing the updates when the system is free.

For reference:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:32 AM
  • When downloading behind the scenes they totally affect other downloads, how can they not? It occupies bandwidth which is taken away from other downloads. Plus it's annoying when at random times an install pops up that needs a restart. I keep auto updates shut off completely.

Plus behind the scenes means I don't choose what gets downloaded, as well, after a fresh install of an O/S I don't want to wait for weeks to pass while 110 updates slowly trickle in at random in the background. I need the updates and SP1 installed right away.

Never had a problem in the past with Win7 or XP of downloading updates, just now since I got this disc.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

I totally understand your inconvenient.

Based on the current situation, I suggest installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1 manually. It includes all updates before it released. I believe it can ease our inconvenient more or less.

Please download the installation file via the below link:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5842

Note: for 64-bit system, please choose “windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe” to download.

After downloading it, please try to install it in Clean Bootenvironment.

Best Regards,

Kim Zhou

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 24, 2012 9:49 AM
  • Updates have all been run for now... but installing SP1 manually isn't a fix for the issue, it's a work around and doesn't help with the other updates.

I'm looking for a fix for the issue. Again, I've worked with Win7 on this system/connection before and downloading updates was 4x faster. I've also seen other posts on various sites where people had the same issue but no fix posted.

Friday, February 24, 2012 2:44 PM
  • Hi,

Please fix Microsoft Windows Updatefirst.

If the issue persists, please collect the windowsupdate.log file under “C:\Windows\” and uploadit. Then we will look into it and try to find the culprit together.  

Best Regards,

Kim Zhou

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:51 AM
  • Still a problem, W7 SP1 IE11, 3.2MBit/s internet, 2x1.7GHz cpu, 235 KB update took 16 mins (last one in log at https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8838D39E38E168C6!117&authkey=!AHCTvt-Sik8xIbo&ithint=file%2clog ) ... this was an optional update, offered after an auto update was installed.

Friday, August 29, 2014 7:28 AM
  • Exactly right THRobinson75. There is no excuse for this. Obviously Microsoft wants to abuse their customers for not updating to Windows 10.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:55 AM
  • I have observed excruciatingly slow Windows 7 Update searches ever since W10 was offered as a no cost upgrade. I am recovering a W7 system from a malware issue. Did a System Restore to Sept 11 2016 to remove the malware. I am endeavoring to search for Windows Updates. The Windows update screen states that the last check for updates was SEPT 11 2016. Makes sense. There cannot be that many updates since SEPT 11th.

The computer is an HP ProBook (reasonably recent PC) with 4GB of RAM, Intel Core i3 processor (2.40GHz) and the ISP is an AT&T high end DSL service searching through a wired 1Gbps LAN connection. The wired connection is direct into the DSL modem, not through any other network components. All other downloads for this recovered machine (Adobe, Java, Mozilla, the required printer driver) have been wicked fast.

The 'check for available updates' function has now been running for 18 hours. NOT the download, the SEARCH.

This slow to search for and locate (NOT EVEN DOWNLOAD) W7 updates issue has been a major waste of time for me (and apparently many others) on multiple different hardware configs using multiple different Internet service providers, with the only machine on the network the one being updated. This is not an issue of available bandwidth, slow Internet connections or old hardware in the PC. I have one machine configured with W10. The updates are located quickly, downloaded quickly and installed quickly. As stated above, Microsoft appears to be again punishing its users and attempting to herd them like cattle to W10. So they put the W7 update files on a one squirrel server.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 11:34 AM
  • I agree with you totally. I began suspecting that MS was attempting to force users to upgrade to W10 as soon as the first posts about slow update speeds with Windows Updates, and there was no clear cut answer coming from MS. You would think that in this day and age of tremendous technological advancements, a super company like MS could solve such a problem with very little effort. However, they would rather wage a war with those of us who wish to remain as W7 users. As loyal MS W7 customers, I believe we deserve better treatment than we are currently receiving from MS regarding the issue of slow download speeds of Windows Updates.
     This post is in reply to the post of Redraider89 dated May 11, 2016.
    • Edited by smalltowndude Thursday, October 20, 2016 2:47 PM Clarification
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 2:37 PM