Steadystate use RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have recently installed Steadystate and even after going through its help section Im not able to decide whether it's useful for me or not.

I just want to restore windows partition after restart, it's ok with steadystate after switching on disk protection, also it may not affect documents stored in other partitions,

but what about wanted data/programs/favorits/updates/new installations stored in windows partition itself, if we need them, is there any way to customize what to restore and what to ignore?

Sunday, July 1, 2007 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From your description, I assume that you want windows disk protection to be enable to distinguish what date (data) to restore and what not to restore at restart.

Unfortunately, Windows Disk Protection does not have such an existing feature to configure a data filter list. However, to make the customization and installation permanently, you can perform the following steps:

1.        Log on as a Windows SteadyState administrator.

2.        In the Windows SteadyState main dialog box, under Computer Settings, click Protect the Hard Disk.

3.        Select Retain all changes permanently.

4.        Customize the computer, such as installing the software updates you want on the shared computer, and then restart the shared computer.

5.        For increased security on your shared computer, after manual software updates have been installed, select Remove all changes at restart in the Protect the Hard Disk dialog box so that additional changes to the shared computer will not be saved.

If you would like to keep the changes temporarily for a period of time, you can use the “Retain changes temporarily for a customized time period” option.

1.     Set the disk protection to the mode: retain changes temporarily for a customized time period.

2.     Test the software during this time period.

3.     If we want to keep the software, we change the disk protection mode to “Retain all changes permanently” to commit the changes at next restart. Otherwise, we change the mode to “Remove changes at restart” or wait for time period expired so that the tested software will be removed at next restart.

Monday, July 2, 2007 12:08 PM