Unable to boot up my new laptop - 0xc0000221 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have just recently bought a new Laptop (ASUS F3S series) running on Windows Vista Business.

I booted it up and installed all the availible updates from Micrsoft.

Once they were installed, I restarted the Laptop and it would not boot up, I receive a page that reads...

----------------------------

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have the disc, contact your system administartor of computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\drivers\volsnap.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

----------------------------

The above is what was on my screen. All this had happened after I updated the computer, is that what caused the problem?

Was wondering if someone would know how to fix this, I also do not have a copy of the Vista Business aswell. It did not come with my Laptop.

Thank you for reading, really appreciate it if I receive a reply.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:54 AM

Answers

•  

Hi teh.danginator,

Thank you for the post.

The issue can be probably caused by a incompatible driver update.

Actually, all drivers released on the Windows Update site are provided by the hardware manufacturers. Microsoft does not develop, manufacture and provide drivers for third party hardware devices. Only for customer's convenience, Microsoft offers these devices on its update web site.

Currently, we can try to use the following methods to troubleshoot the issue. However, performing the following steps requires a Windows Vista installation disk. If you do not have a disk, please contact your computer manufacturer or Microsoft Customer Service or to obtain one.

Microsoft Customer Service: (800) 426-9400, available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

============================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore (If System Restore is enabled on your computer)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

If it is inconvenient for you to obtain the Windows Vista installation disk and you do not have important data to back up, you can restore the computer to its factory settings. If you are unclear about how to restore the computer to its factory settings, please contact your computer manufacturer.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:38 AM

All replies

• Hi....
    You can do this...
    Restart your machine in safe mode, and
    after uninstall all updates.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 5:38 AM
  • Have tried to start in Safe Mode but it is unable to bootup, it says that system file is missing or corrupt.

I believe that something for my Window Updates may have cause this problem.
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 1:09 AM
  •  

Hi teh.danginator,

Thank you for the post.

The issue can be probably caused by a incompatible driver update.

Actually, all drivers released on the Windows Update site are provided by the hardware manufacturers. Microsoft does not develop, manufacture and provide drivers for third party hardware devices. Only for customer's convenience, Microsoft offers these devices on its update web site.

Currently, we can try to use the following methods to troubleshoot the issue. However, performing the following steps requires a Windows Vista installation disk. If you do not have a disk, please contact your computer manufacturer or Microsoft Customer Service or to obtain one.

Microsoft Customer Service: (800) 426-9400, available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore (If System Restore is enabled on your computer)

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

If it is inconvenient for you to obtain the Windows Vista installation disk and you do not have important data to back up, you can restore the computer to its factory settings. If you are unclear about how to restore the computer to its factory settings, please contact your computer manufacturer.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:38 AM
  • This solution does not fix this problem, because, for some reason, the error will not allow the computer to boot from the DVD.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 9:52 PM
  • Hi

I have a BIG problem. After starting my DEll Inspiron 1545 laptop with vista home edition laptop I received the following message:

Windows failed to start... recent hardware or software might be the cause. To fix:

1. Insert windows disk ... & restart
    2. choose language... next
    3. Click repair

I tried to boot from my vista DVD following this Method but after pressing any key  to boot from DVD, the widows is loading files message appears and then a BLUE BLANK screen remain there forever. I could not make it to select language step.

The other options:

• Safe mode
    • Safe mode with Networking
    • Safe mode with command prompt
    • start using last known configuration
    • Start windows normally

I tried to boot in all these possible cases  but every time I received the following message

File: \windows\system32\drivers\TCPIP.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

When I click F2 to access the settings and choose system "information" and then click on "load defaults" button a warning message says:"SATA operation is being changed!" Changing the setting may prevent OS from booting or require a reinstall"

If I run the "Memory Diagnostics Tools" no problem detected and the above windows failed appears.

I appreciate any help as I have a work of two years hardwork on the computer without backup

• Edited by AATI Thursday, September 8, 2011 4:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:16 PM
  • This problem may occur if the file that is described in the error message is corrupted. The following files are checked for integrity when Microsoft Windows XP starts:
    • All driver files (except those that are loaded by the system loader to start. the computer)
    • All dynamic-link libraries (DLLs), including User, Graphics Device Interface (GDI), Shell, Kernel, Ntdll, Crtdll, and others.

For more just go to Fix 0xC0000221 error

Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:38 PM