Log off is worthless RRS feed

• Question

•  

If I log off Windows 7 and log back in, all I get is TOTAL LOCKUP.  Windows will not restart with most of the original startup items.  All I get is the circle jerk.  Unplug is my only option.  How can I fix this?

So far Windows 7 is a farce‼

• Edited by FuzzNutz Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:03 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try to use Diagnostic startup to check if you still have this log off issue. Diagnostic startup starts Windows with basic services and drivers only. This mode can help rule out basic Windows files as the problem.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by FuzzNutz Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:34 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Alex.

I was reticent to to consider the clean boot process because of the sour experience with my last Win 7 installation.  Windows would not boot up, just hang on a blank screen,  I managed to get into Safe mode and did the "msconfig, disable all non MS sevices and startup apps."  When I tried restart - NOTHING, not even Safe mode.  The install disk routine reported that the Repair function could not repair nohow and that it could not find the image I had made (I could find it at the command prompt) to restore.  My only option was to reinstall Win 7.  Grrrr.  This time with a Ghost backup that I know works because I've tested it.

Anyways, this time clean boot (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135) worked.  After the long process of elimination I am pleased to report that the offender was the MBAMService in Malwarebytes.  This is the protection module that is in their pay package. It worked (somewhat buggy) in XP, no longer.  Stick with the free app.   I "sc delete"d the process and I'm good to go.

Now on to another Ghost backup before something else goes haywire...

Thank you again Alex for waking me up.

GatesOnAcid

• Edited by FuzzNutz Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:41 PM
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:34 PM

All replies

• Try Repairing The Windows 7 Installation

1a. Insert the Windows 7 DVD or repair disk and restart your computer. Boot from the DVD, press a key if prompted.
    1b. Or if the computer can boot you can press F8 instead repeatedly at boot and chose "Repair your computer" then go to step 4.
    2. Choose your language and click Next.
    3. Click Repair Your Computer and then select the operating system you want to repair.
    4. Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

More info and a how to guide:
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

If that doesn't fix it:

1a. Insert the Windows 7 DVD or repair disk and restart your computer. Boot from the DVD, press a key if prompted.
    1b. Or if the computer can boot you can press F8 instead repeatedly at boot and chose "Repair your computer" then go to step 4.
    2. Choose your language and click Next.
    3. Click Repair Your Computer and then select the operating system you want to repair.
    4. Select Command Prompt and type the following commands (pressing Enter after each one): 

bootrec /fixMBR
    bootrec /fixBoot
    bootrec /rebuildBCD

Note: there is a space before the /

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:42 PM
  • This computer is less than 30 days old.  I've already reinstalled Windows 7 twice. 

This could also be a hardware issue. If you just bought it return it to the store and get a replacement.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:43 AM
  • I went through 2 motherboards B4 total replacement.  What do you suggest?
    GatesOnAcid
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:47 AM
  • First try gives me a perpetual black screen after log off/ log in (with mouse support, BFD)  I was amused to see an option to restore an image.  I actually made a backup image on my first Win7 installation.  That silliness DID NOT work when I needed it.  I can't even open it since.  "Back up your computer"  Does not exist‼

On to the command prompt.
    GatesOnAcid
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:48 AM
  • Second try.

bootrec /fixMBR
    bootrec /fixBoot
    bootrec /rebuildBCD

Stupid windows 7 scrambled my desktop icons on restart.  This is not acceptable.  Here goes log off. 

GatesOnAcid
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:08 AM
  • Second try put me right back where I started.  If I log off and log back on, I get what looks like a desktop except that there is NO user input available.  Not <Ctrl><Shift><Esc> not <Ctrl><Alt><Delete> not nothing nohow except pull the plug.  GREAT.  Very excellent. 
    GatesOnAcid
    • Edited by FuzzNutz Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:23 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:22 AM
  • Log off is worthless☻  Windows 7 is Ünstable.  ¿?¿

GatesOnAcid
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:28 AM
  • Hi,

Try to use Diagnostic startup to check if you still have this log off issue. Diagnostic startup starts Windows with basic services and drivers only. This mode can help rule out basic Windows files as the problem.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Alex.

I was reticent to to consider the clean boot process because of the sour experience with my last Win 7 installation.  Windows would not boot up, just hang on a blank screen,  I managed to get into Safe mode and did the "msconfig, disable all non MS sevices and startup apps."  When I tried restart - NOTHING, not even Safe mode.  The install disk routine reported that the Repair function could not repair nohow and that it could not find the image I had made (I could find it at the command prompt) to restore.  My only option was to reinstall Win 7.  Grrrr.  This time with a Ghost backup that I know works because I've tested it.

Anyways, this time clean boot (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135) worked.  After the long process of elimination I am pleased to report that the offender was the MBAMService in Malwarebytes.  This is the protection module that is in their pay package. It worked (somewhat buggy) in XP, no longer.  Stick with the free app.   I "sc delete"d the process and I'm good to go.

Now on to another Ghost backup before something else goes haywire...

Thank you again Alex for waking me up.

GatesOnAcid

• Edited by FuzzNutz Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:41 PM
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:34 PM
  • You can try to boot into safe mode then create a new user account (make sure you set the user as an Administrator) the restart and boot into windows but log in as the new user.

Does this still lock up your PC?

Also, try http://www.thetechgroup.com.au/forum/1/, it worked for me!
    Monday, October 31, 2011 5:35 AM
  • Maybe you missed it 3090 - it must have gone right over your head.  MBAM is the culprit, the perp.  I am not gonna (and hope to never have to) create a new user account.  That would really get me steamed.
    GatesOnAcid
    • Edited by FuzzNutz Wednesday, November 2, 2011 6:37 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 6:36 PM