none
How to add change/add custom language in IE 10 browser. RRS feed

• Question

• I know we can add the language in IE9 and lower  versions through internet option -> General Tab -> Language -> Add -> User defined.

Such option is not available for IE10 browser. please suggest.

Friday, June 14, 2013 10:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You will find the user language settings under this key in the registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\International\"AcceptLanguage"="en-AU,geo;q=0.5"

On Windows 8, first make a backup of that Key,

Manually add the ,geo;q=0.5 to the AcceptLanguage value. (as above)

Close all open IE windows for the changes to take effect. Start IE and navigate to a page on your servers where you are sniffing for the accepted languages.

Use the Developer tool's networking tab to inspect the request headers and check that it is including the geo;q=0.5 token.

Here is a summary of the IEAK keys and values...(spreadsheet)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3648

I had a quick look and there are no accept languages settings also.

You can manually add registry entries with the IEAK inif files or modify the users profile inif files to include the custom accept language token in requests.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:43 AM

All replies

• IE10 uses the Operating Systems' installed Languages and even follows the Preference Order as defined by Windows 8.  The link under Internet Options --> General Tab --> Language --> Set Language Preferences actually takes you straight to 'Languages' in the Control Panel.  For Windows 7, download the language you want (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36804), but you'll still have to install the matching language pack for Windows, also.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Sunday, June 16, 2013 12:03 AM
  • Hi DCtheGeek,

We want to add user defined language in the IE10 browser, which I couldn't do it.

Please find attached screen shot of IE9 & IE10.

IE9

IE10

Thanks

Santosh

Monday, June 17, 2013 4:49 AM
  • As I said, languages in IE10 are handled differently.  They are based on the same languages you have installed for the Operating System to offer a more integrated experience with Windows + Languages and making it easier to change the language for the whole system.

Monday, June 17, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Please find attached screen shot of IE9 & IE10.

IE9

[Image showing Language Preference dialog with an Add... button]

IE10

[Image showing Language Preference dialog with no Add... button]

Which OS?   W8?   FWIW in W7 I am still seeing the first dialog you mentioned.   In particular, it has an Add... button there which opens the Add Language sub-dialog.  I will have to try to remember to look at this when I'm back on W8.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, June 17, 2013 4:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Robert,

Currently I'm using Windows 8 Enterprise Edition Bit 64.

User Defined Language-> geo is internally used by my web application to display the webpage.

I could add it in the IE 9 and its lower versions, but which I couldn't do it in the IE 10.

Do we have any other option to add the user defined language in browser.

This is one of the key feature for us to test the web application on the IE10 browser along with Windows 8 operating system.

Thanks

Santosh

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:47 AM
  • Currently I'm using Windows 8 Enterprise Edition Bit 64.

Do we have any other option to add the user defined language in browser.

I'm now on W8 and I see the same thing.  So DC's description is right but only for this OS.   Then this seems to be more of a question for the OS than IE.

Under Language I'm seeing Add a language button at the top of its list.   What does it do?...

There's a Group languages by:  Language name.   And a Search Languages prompt in the Search bar!  So, press Ctrl-e and type G... E... O..  finds  Georgian.   Is that what you want?

BTW Group languages by: Writing system additionally finds  Georgian under Georgian.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes, I assumed he had Windows 8 based on his description of the window not having the option like it does in Windows 7.  Sorry I wasn't more clear about my reply being  specific to Windows 8. : )

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:34 PM
  • Hi DCtheGeek,Robert,

Geo is not any geographical language, it is just a user defined language for my web application to understand and display the webpage.

Due to some confidential issue I can't show the web application error which it is begin displayed.

Can we add user defined language other than the geographical language in IE10?

Again just small recall, if you look into the IE9 screen shot we are having English (Australia) [en-AU] and User Defined [geo], here User Defined [geo] this user defined language will be used by my web application to display its webpage.

So customer asked me to test the same on Windows 8 environment with IE10 browser, to open my web application I need to mandatorily add the User Defined [geo] in my browser language.

Note:- If we are adding the geographical language like English United States/Australia, as per my understanding it won't be displayed as User Defined Language.

Request you to please help me on this...

If this is a limitation in Windows 8 OS, I can just post this to customer.

Thanks

Santosh

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

You will find the user language settings under this key in the registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\International\"AcceptLanguage"="en-AU,geo;q=0.5"

On Windows 8, first make a backup of that Key,

Manually add the ,geo;q=0.5 to the AcceptLanguage value. (as above)

Close all open IE windows for the changes to take effect. Start IE and navigate to a page on your servers where you are sniffing for the accepted languages.

Use the Developer tool's networking tab to inspect the request headers and check that it is including the geo;q=0.5 token.

Here is a summary of the IEAK keys and values...(spreadsheet)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3648

I had a quick look and there are no accept languages settings also.

You can manually add registry entries with the IEAK inif files or modify the users profile inif files to include the custom accept language token in requests.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Hi

Your solved my problem dude.

Really thank you very much for solving my problem...

Thanks

Santosh

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 6:30 AM
  • Hi,

please mark my post as the answer for the benefit of me and others who may have the same issue.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:09 PM
  • Hi,

I've already done that.. ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

Thanks

Santosh

Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:06 AM
  • I have the issue too in Windows 8.  In fact I previously switched between different browser languages in order to test web pages (PHP discovering language). I can no longer do that without changing the language in Windows...

My solution:  I test with Firefox and Chrome which both still have the option.

One more crazy thing:  The spell checking - My Windows is French and IE10 can't auto-detect that I'm writing in English, so everything is underlined with red...

Come Microsoft... make it user friendly!

Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:11 PM