PWA Subscriptions and Access to Project Team Sites in Project Online RRS feed

• Question

• I have tested the ability for non-PWA subscribed users to access Project Online team sites with their Office 365 Enterprise (SharePoint Online) subscription.

Scenario:

We have Project Team sites that need to be shared beyond the PWA licensed user base. These non-PWA users have Office 265 (SharePoint Online) subscriptions set as part of our Enterprise agreement. I was told that user access is restricted to PWA subscribed users only (Lite, Online, Pro...), but have tested and found that is not the case. i.e. I can Invite a non-PWA user to a team site and they are placed in the sitename Team Members (PWA Synchronized) Group. They can access the site, contribute content, etc. all without a PWA license.

When a  project team site is created, several default groups (Team members, Readers, Admins...) are also created. My assumption was that the groups specified with "(PWA Synchronized)" suffix were synchronized with the AD group associated to the PWA Setting for Team Members under 'Manage Groups'. After 3 days of nightly synchronizations, the site group remains unchanged, and has only the 4 non-PWA users I invited or shared-with.

UPDATE:

I opened the project, added a resource, published. Then, it synchs and wipes out my 'invites' and 'shares' and replaces with Synched users.

Considering adding users to non-synched groups via a scripted process to add and AD group to the Readers group.

• Edited by jdwinohio Thursday, January 7, 2016 6:27 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 1:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First of all, concerning the licenses wording, we should take about Project Online/lite licenses (what you call PWA) and Sharepoint Online licenses (what you call O365).

Then the Microsoft rule is quite clear: you can access the Project team sites with a Sharepoint Online licence as soon as you do not access any Project related data such as project tasks, risks, issues, deliverables.

As soon as the user access one of this data, he should have either the Project Lite or Project Online license.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

• Marked as answer by jdwinohio Thursday, January 7, 2016 6:29 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, concerning the licenses wording, we should take about Project Online/lite licenses (what you call PWA) and Sharepoint Online licenses (what you call O365).

Then the Microsoft rule is quite clear: you can access the Project team sites with a Sharepoint Online licence as soon as you do not access any Project related data such as project tasks, risks, issues, deliverables.

As soon as the user access one of this data, he should have either the Project Lite or Project Online license.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

• Marked as answer by jdwinohio Thursday, January 7, 2016 6:29 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 3:45 PM
  • This surely helps clarify.  So, there may be web parts a non-licensed user cannot see, and that's OK. Most our meaningful content is stored in documents.

We were thinking if we can setup the team site template to include a Custom SharePoint security group that includes a standard Active Directory group, then we save the project manager from having to add it each time.

Much appreciated.

Jim Walsh

Monday, January 11, 2016 8:16 PM
  • From this Microsoft Project Online Service description, it seems that any use of a Project Online site requires at a minimum a Project Online Essentials license.  Just a SharePoint Online license is not enough:

Project Online licensing for external users will follow the same policy as that for internal users:

• Any interaction on a Project Site requires a Project Online license. Project Online Essentials is the minimum requirement.

From here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/project-online-service-description.aspx

The

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 9:11 AM
  • Hi All,

Given the licensing policy for Project Online, can you please confirm the below as per the scenario explained?

There is a requirement to store non-project data in a document library in the project site. The non-PWA users will have access ONLY to this document library, in other words, they will NOT have access to other content (like project data, risks, issues, deliverables etc). 

In this case, what kind of licence will the sharepoint (O365) user need?

I request you to provide an early reply.....Many thanks...Prashanth

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 2:32 PM