Windows Explorer is constantly crashing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi :)

Couple of days ago I installed Kaspersky on my laptop. However, everything became messed up and it got slower and programs didn't work so I figured that it must be from Kaspersky. When I wanted to uninstall it in an attempt to solve the problem it didn't allow me to. The installer won't even show up. Windows explorer was too slow which result in constant crashing. I turned off the laptop and opened it in safe mode and did a system restore to couple of days before the installation. When I opened my laptop again the Windows logo appeared normally but afterwards a black screen appeared and nothing else. I could only move the mouse and use ctrl+alt+delete command, and that's it. I tried ending the process of Windows explorer and then opening it again using New Task, but to no avail. Eventually, I turned off my laptop again and entered the safe mode, disabled then enabled the video card drive from the device manager, and then opened my laptop in normal mode again. This time the desktop appeared normally, but...

1- Windows explorer runs very slow, and when I start windows and try to open a program/refresh the desktop it'll crash and stop working which would result in me ending up with only my mouse and the background wallpaper. When i try to forcefully turn it off then on again the black screen would appear again, so I have to turn it off normally using ctrl-alt-delete and then start it again and it would start normally again but i have to wait at least 10 minutes so the windows won't crash.

2- Bitlocker will not work at all. I have a locked drive that I set it to unlock automatically on this laptop, but it won't open. Computer would only display a silver drive with its name and an unlocked silver lock and that's it. It won't allow me to open it or anything. And every time i try to double click or enter the drive, Windows explorer would keep loading and then eventually it will crash. (It's drive K in this picture)

3- None of my programs are working properly, they won't even start. When I try to open troubleshooting or launching Malwarebytes they would open normally but when I try to scan for problems they would keep loading for ages with no results. Other programs won't even launch, except for Google chrome which is the only thing that's working properly for me now.

I really hope you have a solution for my problem, otherwise I'm seriously considering a system format which I really want to avoid.

Thank you in advance.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 1:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi MeSmErlzE716,

I have received the message regarding to your issue. You PC got the issue after you install Kaspersky, and the PC still has problem even though you perform System Restore. We suppose some system files damaged by some unknown reasons.

We would like to know if Kaspersky still exits after you perform System Restore. If it exists, you would better contact Kaspersky to know how to remove it.

Also, you could try to recovery the PC from installation media or the system image.  

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/restore-computer-from-system-image-backup#1TC=windows-7

Good luck to fix it.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 4:28 AM
  • Kaspersky was successfully uninstalled after the restore. But I wonder if there are any "leftover" files. 

I'm not missing any files though. I can open Computer normally and view my files, documents, pictures, etc.. normally. However, the driver that I locked is a drive with a size of 1 TB. I don't have any available space to recover that size of data. My biggest issue right now is bitlocker encryption. Is there any way to fix this problem? As it's my top priority right now.

Thank you.

Friday, December 11, 2015 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Since you have said that the PC works fine now except the volume locked by BitLocker. You could refer the link below to know how to turn off BitLocker.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424315%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Best Regards

Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 14, 2015 3:16 AM
  • Hi,

I tried accessing the bitlocker settings in control panel but it wouldn't let me as it would crash and freeze, but when I disconnect the device the settings would appear normally.

Furthermore, I found out that I can unlock the drive using cmd in safe mode, but I still can't access it; the same problem happens even in safe mode. Is there a way to fix the drive? It appears that the source of the problems are from the drive itself because when I disconnect it windows functions normally without the issues I mentioned before but they would appear again when I connect the drive. Would a format of the drive help fixing the drive? And can I recover the files from the drive after the format?

Thank you so much in advance.

Monday, December 21, 2015 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Since you cannot access Control Panel settings, why you suppose there is no system files corrupted in your previous post?

Therefore, please try to recovery the PC from installation media or the system image as I mentioned above.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/restore-computer-from-system-image-backup#1TC=windows-7

All the issue occurs after you installing Kaspersky, I wonder if this anti-virus software affects the drive. I would like to suggest that you could use Chkdsk command to fix it.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491051.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If you format the drive, it is difficult to recover the files back. Also, you could try to use Xcopy command to backup the files due to you could access the drive via Command Prompt. After you backup, you could format the drive.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771254.aspx

Hope that will be helpful to you.

Best Regards

Simon 

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 1:15 AM