none
5 Day PG Setup to disk and tape and alerting problems. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Our customer has asked us regarding a few things with DPM2010 as his requirements do not seem to fit into the way DPM works (he has backup exec previously for old kit and this was flexible enough to cover what he wanted).

Currently we have 2 protection groups, one of which is protecting his accounting and file share data, this runs at 3 points during the day to disk and is dumped to tape at 17:00 and the second is for BMR of the servers and VM's which runs daily to disk and writes to tape at 1:00am

They want to insert a tape in the morning 09:00 for the end of day offsite backup and change it at 18:00 (takes 45 mins for the daily offsite backup to dump to tape) for which the server daily backups will run to.

Is there any way to achieve their goals with DPM2010 as I currently have it doing this but on a 7 day schedule (they only work 5) and the only way I can see to get it to work due to long term recovery goals (ID:145) causing problems is by letting it run over 7 days and generate errors (not ideal).

Additionally they are wanting to have an email sent everytime the backup to disk or tape completes successfully, informational alerts seem a little spammy so I am thinking this would have to be done via a few custom reports as I cannot see any event logs I can tien an email event to in event viewer.

Any comments on above would be appreciated.

Edmond Egan
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Edmond,

can you please rephrase the issue, I do not see the actual problem?

Please state clearly if you seek daily backup on 5 out of 7 days only, or weekly on the 5th day, or literally every 5 days (which I find hard to believe).

What confuses a bit is changing tapes at 18:00 (post 17:00 +45 min backup) why need to insert at 09:00?
    This only makes sense to me if team-1 just removes it at 18:00 and team-tomorrow inserts new tape but currently makes little sense to me.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, October 18, 2010 9:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Edmond,

can you please rephrase the issue, I do not see the actual problem?

Please state clearly if you seek daily backup on 5 out of 7 days only, or weekly on the 5th day, or literally every 5 days (which I find hard to believe).

What confuses a bit is changing tapes at 18:00 (post 17:00 +45 min backup) why need to insert at 09:00?
    This only makes sense to me if team-1 just removes it at 18:00 and team-tomorrow inserts new tape but currently makes little sense to me.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, October 18, 2010 9:05 PM
  • Hi, As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered". Either the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios and will be marked as answer, or this post will be marked as answer in order to close the thread. Feel free to re-open the thread if you have additional information about this specific case or to open a new thread for a new case. In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks,

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 + 2012 Recipient

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:56 AM