MOSS 2007 SP1 .xlsx documents opening within browser instead of external applications RRS feed

• Question

• We are running MOSS SharePoint 2007 Service Pack 1.

Lately the users have been getting Office 2010 installed.

We have noticed, in at least one document library, that when the users click on the names of .doc, .docx, or .xls files , the external application opens.

However, in that particular doc library, clicking on an .xlsx document results in an attempt to display the spreadsheet within the page.

We would rather not do that, because the spreadsheets could have Excel 2010 specific features in them that wouldn't display as expected within a web page.

When I look at the document library settings > advanced settings > Browser enabled documents, it is set to "open in client application".

The library is not set up to use content types.

I checked the site and site collection features, and neither have a feature of opening document in external application.

I would like to set up this doc library so that clicking on an .xlsx document results, by default, in it opening in an external application.

Does anyone have tips or can point to a specific recipe for setting that up?

Thank you.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:19 PM

Answers