none
VssError: Insufficient storage space RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched and found similar problems but have not found a fix.

I my case, I am backing up DPM's own DPMDB. It is on dedicated instance of SQL on the C: drive of Physical DPM Server.

The DPMDB has backed up before and synchronized as well, but I am now getting this error message

DPM failed to synchronize changes for SQL Server 2008 database BKP!\MSDMP2012\DPMDB on [FQDN] because the snapshot volume did not have sufficient storage space to hold the churn on the protected computer (ID 30115 Details: VssError:Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data. (0x8004231F))

I am guessing I need to reserve more shadow copy space on the C: drive. C: drive is 136GB with 83GB free.

Thanks in advance

Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From administrative command prompt run: Vssadmin list shadowstorage - then see if the shadowstorage associated with the C: volume is located on C: and that it is not restricted to an unreasonable limit.

You can try running this command to correct the problem.

vssadmin add shadowstorage /for=c: /on=c: /maxsize=25%

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From administrative command prompt run: Vssadmin list shadowstorage - then see if the shadowstorage associated with the C: volume is located on C: and that it is not restricted to an unreasonable limit.

You can try running this command to correct the problem.

vssadmin add shadowstorage /for=c: /on=c: /maxsize=25%

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:18 PM
  • Thanks Mike

That worked a treat.

Actually, I could not see any shadowstorage for C:, there was plenty for all the associations in the C:\ ... DPM\Volumes\Replica\  but nothing for C:. I looked back and I could not actually find any completed backup for the DPMDB, so it may never have been successful! I have set shadowstorage for C: and all good now.

I am thinking that I should have built this DPM Server with a D: drive as well and used that to hold the Replica Associations, would that have been good practice?  If I create a D: drive, can I move the Replica associations to it?

Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:08 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear the problem is solved.

The path to the replicas have no impact on C: drive. All the backups are on dpm storage pool disks and have their own shadow Copy storage.  The path on C: are just mountpoints.

Monday, July 22, 2013 12:21 AM