Dashboard Desiner 2007 Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I'm Trying to Creat Data Source from Dahboard that connect to SQL server 2008. It is failed to do this for some reasons. but it works fine with SQL 2005.

I did install the latest SP for both SQL and PerformancePoint server (SP2) without any Luck!!!!!

can you help me please?
    hussain
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:39 AM

All replies

• Can you post what type of error or message you are receiving when you are attempting to create this data source and what type of data source you are attempting to create?

Also, what OS are you using on the servers?

Thanks.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:45 AM
  • I'm Using windows 2003

message below

---------------------------
    Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Dashboard Designer
    The PerformancePoint Server could not connect to the specified data source. Verify that either the current user or application pool user has Read permissions to the data source, depending on your security configuration. Also verify that all required connection information is provided and correct.
    OK  

hussain
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:59 AM
  • Have you created a new role with at least read access on your 2008 SSAS DB and added the account running the performancepoint application pool to that role?

bdooley
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:19 PM
  • No, how to do this?
    hussain
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:20 PM
  • I haven't played with SSAS 2008 yet, but in SSAS 2005, connect to the SSAS instance in Management Studio. Expand Databases and then roles.  Right click on Roles and select "Add Role".  If you only want read access click the check box for "Read definition".  On the Membership menu add your performancepoint apppool account.  On the Data Sources menu, make sure the correct access is given.  Also ensure access on the Cubes, Cell Data and Dimension menus.

Hope this helps.

bdooley
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:31 PM
  • What i can see is under the application pool-> Identity->Predefined "Network Service"
    Do i need to use different account here first?

hussain
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:40 PM
  • Not sure, I have a domain account running mine.  Since you already have it successfully setup on your 2005 instance, you might want to see how the role is setup there and set it up the same way on your 2008 instance.

bdooley
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:49 PM
  • How can I identify the account under the pool as its shoing Network Service ????
    hussain
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:00 PM
  • The account is the Network Service.  If your Performancepoint server and your SSAS 2008 instance are on the same box, you can add the network service account to your SSAS 2008 role. 

bdooley

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:03 PM
  • I went through this and I got the same error. its woking fine if i changed it to another SQL server with running 2005 ONLY!!!

hussain
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:09 PM
  • How is your role setup on the 2005 instance?
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Hi Hussain,

In your first post there was a reference about PPS SP2, I hope the SQL Server 2005 SP2 CU9 redistributables installed on the Monitoring Server which is required step.   

Thank you,
    Sundar - MSFT
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Here is a link to the redistributables Sundar mentioned:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335969.aspx

These will need to be installed on the server that hosts the Monitoring Application Pools.

Thank you,

Aseem Nayar - MSFT
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:36 PM
  • I Just did this but without any luck!!!1
    hussain
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:07 AM
  • Can you explain how the servers are setup?  Is this in a distributed environment?  Is the SSAS 2005 instance on the same server as PPS?  What about SSAS 2008?

If SSAS 2008 is on a different server then you are going to need to configure your PPS application pool identities with a domain account to be able to connect to SSAS and setup the user with the proper permissions as stated above.

You can run a Profiler trace against the SSAS instance to see what is going on with your connection and to see who is trying to connect.  Assuming right now it might be Anonymous.

Please review and read through the PPS Deployment guide for the proper instructions on how to configure and setup the software - Deployment Guide for Monitoring Server based on your type of configuration.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:06 AM
  • I got two Servers as below:

Server A:
    PPS
    Sharepoint
    SQL server 2005

Server B:
    MS CRM 4.0
    SQL server 2008

I would like to use PPS desiner to Build Dashbord.

I hope this is clear .

hussain
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:31 AM
  • This is what I thought based on what you were experiencing.  You will need to follow the steps for the distributed configuration - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb838752.aspx in the deployment guide.

You are going to need to change the Application Pools to run under a domain account instead of the local Network Service account for PPS and SharePoint so that you will be able to connect to the SSAS 2008 instance.  If you would have run the Profiler trance you would have seen the Anonymous connection being made to SSAS 2008.  You will then need to make sure that these accounts not only have the proper access on the Web Server to run like IIS_WPG, but also the necessary permissions in the PPS Monitoring Database and SSAS databases (along with SharePoint databases). 
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Hi Dan,

I would like to thank you for your help and support.

i went through MS document (the one you mentioned to me earlier) as i found it similar to what i done.
    the "Update SQL Server 2005 client components with Cumulative Update 9" is applied yesterday without any luck.

I changed the application pool from Network Service to domain admin account including the security groups required with no LUCK and i got new Message .
    "
    Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Dashboard Designer
    Unable to connect to the specified server.  Make sure the address is correct.

"

hussain
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:44 PM
  • Take a look at this posting by Nick Barclay - PerformancePoint Monitoring Data Source Connection Problems.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:22 PM
  • Hi Hussain,

Sorry, you are having trouble not able to connect. Please follow the Dan's instructions and in addition try installing AJAX 1.0 on the system where Dashboard Designer is launched see it helps.   Can you please make sure from Office Button | Options | Server Tab make sure correct monitoring server name is specified.

You may want to check the Event Viewer | Application log for additional error is logged and try adding the PPSMonitoringWeb Application Pool user to Analysis Server | Properties | Security see it helps.

Thank you,
    Sundar - MSFT
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:43 PM