Lync Server 2010 - Error Publishing Topology and Installing Server Components RRS feed

• Question

• When I publish Topology I get this error:

The existing topology (what existing topology I ask!) identifies stglyncfe\rtc as the central management store, but the topology that you are trying to publish indentifies stglyncfe.stg.local\rtc as the central management store. The central management stores must match before the topology can be published.

Thing is I have no idea where stglyncfe\rtc has been set as the store. I thought it had to be the FQDN and that has been what I am using every time I am asked.

If I use just the machine name stglyncfe in the topology builder I can publish the topology successfully. However after running Install Lync Server Components get the following lines at the bottom of the log:

no databases discovered, skipping install-CsDatabase

no roles discovered, skipping install-CsComputer

I assume this is because the FQDN I have set in topology builder of stglyncfe does not match the FQDN of the machine stglyncfe.stg.local so therefore the installer thinks that no components are require to be installed on the machine.

Any ideas people? This is getting frustrating!

Thanks!!

Andrew

Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:54 AM

Answers

• Ive answered my own question:

Found this post - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsplanningdeployment/thread/02d1ee57-94ce-40d7-8772-7dd0b76d267c

Different error message but relating to the same thing. I ran get-CsConfigurationStoreLocation from Lync PowerShell and sure enough it was set to stglyncfe\rtc. I then ran remove-CsConfigurationStoreLocation. Going back to my original topology with the FQDN of stglyncfe.stg.local\rtc I was able to successfully publish it.

Now when I run install for Lync Server Components it actually installs some roles!! PROGRESS!!

So in summary - If you publish the wrong FQDN this gets set in AD and the only way to remove it is to run the above command. Would be nice if the error included this simple step.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:50 AM

All replies

• Run Remove-csmanagementconnection in the Lync powershell tool and try to re-publish.
    • Proposed as answer by Mac McTernen Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:18 AM
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:17 AM
  • Ive answered my own question:

Found this post - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsplanningdeployment/thread/02d1ee57-94ce-40d7-8772-7dd0b76d267c

Different error message but relating to the same thing. I ran get-CsConfigurationStoreLocation from Lync PowerShell and sure enough it was set to stglyncfe\rtc. I then ran remove-CsConfigurationStoreLocation. Going back to my original topology with the FQDN of stglyncfe.stg.local\rtc I was able to successfully publish it.

Now when I run install for Lync Server Components it actually installs some roles!! PROGRESS!!

So in summary - If you publish the wrong FQDN this gets set in AD and the only way to remove it is to run the above command. Would be nice if the error included this simple step.

Thanks,

Andrew

• Tried Remove-csmanagementconnection but it didnt seem to help. What does this command so?

Thanks,

Andrew

• Exactly what I needed - thanks!
    Monday, December 6, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Wow. I completely re-loaded my Lync Server to try and get around this error. Was very bummed when it did not go away. Now understand the issue to be an AD setting. Easily fixed as you suggested. Thanks. 
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:58 PM
  • i run Remove-CsConfigurationStoreLocation in cmdlet but it's error "the term Remove-CsConfigurationStoreLocation is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet. help me step how run remove-csconfiguration
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:58 AM
  • I had a similar problem. The only way i could resolve the problem was to remove all settings in AD.  http://blog.ucmadeeasy.com/2010/11/09/lync-server-2010-active-directory-references-and-how-to-remove-them/   but this was not enough.

I deleted all files under  c:\users\'profile'\appdata\local\temp  then could recreate the topology and publish it with success.

• Proposed as answer by Corner3 Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:32 AM
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:32 AM