none
Duration field is calculation holidays in MSP 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am preparing the project plan in 2003 version.

I have team of Onsite and Offshore model.

I have created calendar as per Onsite along with holidays and Offshore as per holidays and assigned to respective resources accordingly. In my plan I am using "Standard" calendar as project based calendar.

In the plan I have taken "Duration" , "Start" and "Finish" which are scheduled fields as per MSP 2003.

Created the task and assigned resources. Set the "Duration" fiedl value, "Start" and "Finish" dates are populated autoamtically excluding holidays as per resource calendar. Now Cumulative duration of all task is showing including holidays.

For ex:

Project1

Design

- Task1 3 days

- Task2 3 days

In between these task dates there will be 2 holidays. Now duration for "Design" it is showing it as "8" instead of 6 which is misleading when I see my project duration.

Is there any setting needed for "Duration" field to exclude holidays list as per resoruce calendar?

Appreciate any help in this issue?

Regards,

Kiran

Friday, December 2, 2011 6:54 PM

Answers

• Kiran,

You indicate you use the "Standard" calendar for the project calendar. You also said that you included the holidays in the resource calendars but you do not mention putting the holidays into the standard calendar.

Task duration is measured from the task start to the task finish using the project calendar, or if so designated, a task calendar. Task duration is not measured using resource calendars. Unless you modify the standard calendar to also include holidays, Project will calculate duration based on the standard calendar which only has Saturday and Sunday as non-working days.

Normally when setting up a plan in project, it is advisable to first create a custom calendar that includes company holidays. Then use that calendar for your project calendar. As you create tasks in the plan they will follow your custom calendar. If resources have deviations from your custom calendar, you can create separate resource calendars based on the custom calendar, which means you will not have to separately enter holidays for each resource.

You might find FAQ 5 - Default working hours helpful by going to the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, December 2, 2011 7:11 PM

All replies

• Kiran,

You indicate you use the "Standard" calendar for the project calendar. You also said that you included the holidays in the resource calendars but you do not mention putting the holidays into the standard calendar.

Task duration is measured from the task start to the task finish using the project calendar, or if so designated, a task calendar. Task duration is not measured using resource calendars. Unless you modify the standard calendar to also include holidays, Project will calculate duration based on the standard calendar which only has Saturday and Sunday as non-working days.

Normally when setting up a plan in project, it is advisable to first create a custom calendar that includes company holidays. Then use that calendar for your project calendar. As you create tasks in the plan they will follow your custom calendar. If resources have deviations from your custom calendar, you can create separate resource calendars based on the custom calendar, which means you will not have to separately enter holidays for each resource.

You might find FAQ 5 - Default working hours helpful by going to the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, December 2, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Hello John,

Thanks for your input. It worked out for me.

Regards,

Kiran

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:56 PM