validation settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Need help in validation settings in general settings  (list settings and as well as library settings).could any please provide me the example scenario's for both library and list types.how actually we apply in real time scenario's.

Thanks in advance,

vishnu

Saturday, April 6, 2013 8:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Vishnu,

You are correct. Suppose we have one list with columns 'ProjectId' 'Project Name', 'Brief' and 'Employee Type'.

Below are some business rules we are taking to clarify it.
    1. ProjectId cannot be duplicate
    2. ProjectId cannot have decimal values
    3. Employees of type ‘external’ are not allowed to enter information.

1. & 2. can be implemented at column level by selecting 'YES' radio button under Enforce unique values and by setting Formula in text box under column validation.

Here rule 3 is general not on single column. It can be implemented by setting Formula in text box in validation settings option under General Settings category.

Hope you are clear now.

Thanks,

Please mark it as answer if it helped.

• Proposed as answer by Hemendra Agrawal Monday, April 8, 2013 5:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pratik Vyas Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:45 AM
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Consider this as your scenario, you want to create e-Mail field in your list. When you type value in that field in should validate the field against your entered value. For this we can go for this feature. In the column validation, you can have the below code snippet.

=AND(
        ISERROR(FIND(" ", [Email],1)),
        IF(ISERROR(FIND("@", [Email],2)),
            FALSE,
            AND(
                ISERROR(FIND("@",[Email], FIND("@", [Email],2)+1)),
                IF(ISERROR(FIND(".", [Email], FIND("@", [Email],2)+2)),
                    FALSE,
                    FIND(".", [Email], FIND("@", [Email],2)+2) < LEN([Email])
                )
            )
        )
    )

And follow the below article as well...

http://thechriskent.com/2012/08/16/validate-email-address-columns-in-sharepoint/

Sekar - Our life is short, so help others to grow

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:30 PM
  • Hi Sek Thang,

Thanks for your reply,i have one more doubt applying the column validation and as well as what we apply in validation settings in general settings is both same or else is there any difference.could please let me know the exact difference bcoz am just getting confuse.

1)but as per my understanding the difference is what we apply at column level validation is applied to that particular column.but when we apply validation setting in general settings here we can apply for all the columns.As per my understanding...IF am wrong please correct me.

Thanks in Advance,

vishnu

Saturday, April 6, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hi Vishnu,

You are correct. Suppose we have one list with columns 'ProjectId' 'Project Name', 'Brief' and 'Employee Type'.

Below are some business rules we are taking to clarify it.
    1. ProjectId cannot be duplicate
    2. ProjectId cannot have decimal values
    3. Employees of type ‘external’ are not allowed to enter information.

1. & 2. can be implemented at column level by selecting 'YES' radio button under Enforce unique values and by setting Formula in text box under column validation.

Here rule 3 is general not on single column. It can be implemented by setting Formula in text box in validation settings option under General Settings category.

Hope you are clear now.

Thanks,

Please mark it as answer if it helped.

• Proposed as answer by Hemendra Agrawal Monday, April 8, 2013 5:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pratik Vyas Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:45 AM
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 9:09 PM
  • Hi Vishnu

I hope, Joydeep answer will help you. If it's not please let us know

Sekar - Our life is short, so help others to grow

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Sunday, April 7, 2013 2:37 PM