Long pause during hibernate on Acer laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Client's Acer model 5315 laptop, Vista home basic SP1. About halfway through hibernate there is a 55 second pause where all HD activity stops and absolutely nothing seems to be happening. Then after this very consistent and repeatable pause, HD activity resumes and hibernate completes properly. Total hibernate time is about two minutes - 1 minute of hibernate, 1 minute of the pregnant pause. Resume from hibernate seems quick and flawless. Sleep & resume works fine. A full shutdown works fine and actually completes faster than hibernate :-)

I've examined the machine in detail. I can find nothing amiss in device management (hidden devices too), software, system event logs, bios settings, etc etc. It's a very clean machine and seems to run flawlessly except for this one "glitch". There is only typical software installed, and virus/malware has been scanned for in several ways. Scandisk says the NTFS is fine. Defrag is fine. I've toggled hibernate off & on with powercfg to recreate the hiberfile and all seems ok. Sigh......

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to turn on some detailed verbose logging of the hibernate process. I would like to examine that type of information and see if I could decipher what the hardware or Vista is waiting for during the 55 seconds.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:54 PM

All replies

• I suggest that you upgrade the device drivers for the laptop. The new drivers for Windows Vista 32bit can be downloaded from the following website.

http://www.acerpanam.com/flex/acer/bin/acer.html#app=2766&9e7c-selectedIndex=0&3386-selectedIndex=2&bca4-selectedIndex=1&bf37-selectedIndex=1&4f90-selectedIndex=1

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

If the issue is not resolved, let's follow the steps below to enable write caching mode and advance performance.

1. Click Start. In the Start Search box type "devmgmt.msc" and press Enter.
    2. Expand the branch "Disk drives". Double-click on the entry under this branch.
    3. Click the "Policies" tab.
    4. Click the two options "Enable write caching on the disk" and "Enable advance performance".

Then, try to hibernate.

If the issue persists, I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus program, and enter Hibernate mode again. Does the issue reoccurs?

If the performance is not improved, you may check Event Log, in Windows Logs\System it logs the system status when you are trying to enter Hibernate mode.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:33 AM
  • Well, it turns out that in the system event logs there *IS* detailed hibernate performance information. At the risk of being too verbose I'll detail some of it here for the info. Perspiring minds want to know.

Event Viewer
      Application and Service Logs
        Microsoft
          Windows
            Diagnostics-performance
              Operational

On the "Return From Standby" event, the details tab give much info, not only about the return from standby, but the performance of the previous hibernation or sleep that made the return from standby possible.

On my little laptop - times in milliseconds (or seconds)

Total standby suspend time = 81454  (81 seconds)
    suspend apps = 38
    suspend services = 8
    suspend user-interface = 1058
    suspend winlogon = 625
    suspend flush volumes = 818
    suspend devices = 6164

suspend hibernate write = 72725  (73 seconds)

So.. The greatest bulk of the time is spent writing the hiberfile. The next largest item is 6 seconds of suspending devices.
    There is much more info in the event, but this seems to be the significant parts of it for my investigation.

By the by, I turned on "advanced caching" on the HDD, but it made no significant diff - maybe 1 or two seconds is all.
    As time permits I will investigate devices and device drivers a bit. Wondering why it takes 6 seconds to suspend devices.
    I will probably disable one at a time and see if there is any big difference in the "suspend devices" time.

I've also used MSConfig to bring up Windows in an absolutely minimum configuration and then hibernated from there. No big difference, but the event data bears that out - showing only a couple of seconds of time to suspend apps, services, etc.

Anyhow - I've now put in more time investigating this hibernate thing then will ever be gained by fixing. Ha. Also, somewhere/somehow during all the fiddling hibernate performance improved by 40 seconds. I don't know why.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 2:07 PM
  • It takes my desktop system 3 minutes to hibernate. Most of that time is spent writing the  2GB hiber file.

I don't know why it takes so long but apparently Vista takes a long time to write the hiber file.

BTW, I use hibernate because the PC will not resume successfully from Sleep Mode.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:02 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, it seems most of the time is used to save data to hard disk.

Therefore, I would like to suggest that you temporarily uninstall the anti-virus software as a test.  Anti-virus software adds filter drivers to the file system and may affect the disk read/write related performance.

Also, if you have installed disk speed up software as well, please also uninstall it.

If the performance is not improved obviously after that, I would like to suggest that you check if the IDE transfer mode is incorrect. By default, the transfer mode will be Ultra DMA Mode. Please launch Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATATI controllers, double-click the entries of ATA Channel, click Advanced Settings tab, and check if it is running in PIO mode but not Ultra DMA Mode. If so, make sure that the option Enable DMA is checked.

Besides, hibernate issues are generally related to hardware devices. Please upgrade all of the device drivers to their latest versions.

If the above suggestions do not help, let me know if the startup speed and the speed of resume from Hibernate are slow either, and if the issues occurs from beginning or started to occur recently. Also please let me know if the BIOS settings has been changed. Thanks!

Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:52 AM
  • Thanks for the interest.

This has nothing to do with Virus Software, nor with my device driver, which is the MSFT Disk driver that everyone is using.

Let me make a suggestion -- On a Vista 32bit Desktop PC with 2GB memory and a SATA II 7200 rpm drive,

go into Hibernate.

Tell me how long in seconds it takes to power down.

This will give me an idea of how  much out of the ordinary my experience is.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:11 PM
  • Agreed this has nothing to do with installed software. I've seen it when using MSConfig to bring up Windows Vista in a truly minimum configuration with just a few services running - and NOTHING ELSE.

I suspect what you see is that during the hibernate file write, there is much disk activity for a while, then a LONG pause when nothing happens, then disk activity finally resumes and hibernate completes. The pause can be from a few seconds to more than a minute.

What we don't know is what Windows hibernate is waiting for during that pause. The detailed event logging reports only the total hiberfil write time, not the needed details of the pause-cause. There isn't much left going at that time except for device drivers. It could be waiting for some device to quit. Shucks, it could even be waiting for the CPU to cool down for all I know. I've tried many things - like leaving a CD in the drive (and not), same with mouse, usb flash drives, ethernet,  and external monitor.

Without "the pause" it should take a typical SATA controller and drive less than 30 seconds to write a 2GB hibefil. My Vista laptop does it in twice+ that with a 40 second pause in the middle. My 5 yr old Dell desktop with XP and 7200 rpm PATA does 1GB hiber in less than 10 seconds.

The bottom line is that Windows Vista event logs says that all services, apps, & devices have been suspended and now it's time to write the hiberfil. Then it takes it own sweet time doing so?

Sigh...
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:15 PM
  • Instigated by this thread, I did some more fiddling with Hibernate.

I changed my BIOS "ACPI Standby State" from "AUTO" to "S3"

Amazingly, now the Hiberfile write is 17.5 seconds instead of 2-3 minutes.

Cause and effect, or coincidence ? I have no idea.

Will have to see if it holds or reverts.
    Monday, September 22, 2008 11:09 PM