Windows 7 can't log in after hibernate RRS feed

• Question

• On my laptop, sometimes after I wake it up it doesn't accept my password -- it just says "incorrect user name or password".  It works if I click switch user, then go back to the same user I was just trying with.
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 4:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, the culprit may be Num Lock key, Num Lock seems to be turned on for the Locked screen but not for the Logged On screen. If the Numlock is on you will get numbers instead of letters when pressing some keys.

You could try to disable the Num Lock key when you meet this issue again, then input the password and check the result.

In order to confirm, please try to use on-screen keyboard when log in, too.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, December 3, 2010 3:36 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, the culprit may be Num Lock key, Num Lock seems to be turned on for the Locked screen but not for the Logged On screen. If the Numlock is on you will get numbers instead of letters when pressing some keys.

You could try to disable the Num Lock key when you meet this issue again, then input the password and check the result.

In order to confirm, please try to use on-screen keyboard when log in, too.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, December 3, 2010 3:36 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 9:46 AM
  • I get the same error as tboss. Alex Zhaozx's suggestion about Num Lock can't be right, I use a full size keyboard.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 8:51 PM
  • i get the same error and is not the Num Lock.

1. After it wakes up it doesn't accept my password -- it just says "incorrect user name or password

2. The Shut down options button doesn't show on the botton right...

I can see the Shutdown option and login only after clicking on Switch User....

please I need a fix for this...

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Same problem. The only way is to logon as a different users and pick the same user I was trying to login as.

Its wierd...... This started a week ago? arround 14th? or the week before.

Win7 Ultimate, SP1, on an Acer Aspire 4741-6628

Hope someone comes up with the solution!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:38 AM
  • Found it!!!!!

Its the keyborad layout. I came back form hibernation and I used the onscreen keyboard and it worked.

My password starts with a ! so I am guessing the layout is messed up.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:53 PM