none
Screensaver & Computer Lock

Question

• I am fairly new to group policy and I'm looking for some help.  Is it possible to have a screen saver come on after 2 minutes and then after 5 have the computer lock?  I would like to have these independent of each other so that if a user steps away for 3-4 minutes they can come back to their PC without having to log back in.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 8:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Group policy Screen saver timeout setting specifies how much user idle time must elapse before the screen saver is launched.When configured, this idle time can be set from a minimum of 1 second to a maximum of 86400 seconds, or 24 hours. If set to zero, the screen saver will not launch.
    You could refer to the following article regarding to configure Screen saver timeout setting step by step and have a try it to see if it works:
    Lock Computers In Domain Via Group Policy
    https://prajwaldesai.com/lock-computers-in-domain-via-group-policy/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 9, 2017 7:12 AM
  • > Is it possible to have a screen saver come on after 2 minutes and then after 5 have the computer lock?

Long answer short: No.
     What you can do is "turn off screen" (via energy settings) after 2 minutes and kick in screen saver after 5. But to be honest, I never tried that :)

Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:32 AM
  • To accomplish this you can use ScreenSaverGracePeriod. Open regedit and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. Add or modify REG_SZ (string) with Name "ScreenSaverGracePeriod" and Value <number of seconds>. On win10 I can set a pretty high value and it works like it should. On Win7 have experienced that the max effective time is 60, but this could be because of other conflicting settings.

This method works if the screen is locked by setting the screen saver to require password when reactivated. If the computer is locked by other means, like sleep or specific lock settings, then it will have no effect.

And, of course, all editing of the registry is terribly dangerous and should only be carried out by highly skilled professionals and after doing a backup :)

Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:06 PM
  • > Add or modify REG_SZ (string) with Name "ScreenSaverGracePeriod" and Value <number of seconds>.

Ah yes, very good idea !

Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:45 AM