** A must read for all newbies before installing Vista ** RRS feed

• Question

• After browsing the posted issues I thought of writing this so that a lot of people can avoid initlal problems with Vista B2 b5384.4 or later.  I hope even experienced users may find some useful info.

1.  Make Sure Your Hardware is Ready

a. Your processor should not be more than 18 months old. If intel then P4 5xx or beyond series is okay. 

b. RAM should be 1GB (more will not help much at this stage).  

c. Good PSU is very critical.  Depending upon your system load ensure you have 40W+ free available.  If you have good AGP or PCI-e video card and rest standard than should not have less than 400W+ of good branded PSU.

d.  Usually there are two set of controllers on newer MBs.  Make sure your HD and CD-ROMs that you will be using for Vista installation are connected to the first controller in southbridge chip (eg.  HD to main SATA controller and CD-ROM to first IDE controller. The secondary controller may be M**wick, Br**dcom, etc on the same motherboard with seperate IDE and SATA sockets).  Don't use them.

2.  HDD Drivers 

If using RAID/AHCI then get latest drivers on the floppy.  Drivers should be 32-bit for 32-bit installation and 64-bit for 64- installation.

3.  Installation

a.  Unless you are beta testing for upgrade install Vista on a seperate partition of its own.  If you require XP then XP should already be installed

b.  Boot installation DVD from DVD-ROM

c.  Press F6 write after the blue screen once the CD-ROM start loading the installation (it says so at the bottom of the screen)

*** Some keyboards have a switch that let us switch between F1-F12 keys and their special keys. Press it before F6 to ensure F6 will be read.

d.  After loading main drivers a sccren will let you specify additional drivers (if only you press F6 in (b) ) by pressing "S"

e. Press "S" key. Drivers whatever on the floppy will be loaded and select the right one from the list.

f.  Let Vista completes the installation

4.  Post Installation Resolutions

a.  Open control panel and go to the device manager and look for error devices.

b.  Do not expect every hardware device to work at beta level. Identify important error devices that you must have working.  Eg, Video, Sound, Lan?modem etc.

c.  For each of the none working devices in (b) try to load the latest drivers for vista in this order

i.  VIsta AutoUpdate

ii. Vista driver from manufacturer

d. If step "c" do not work then try latest XP drivers in compatibility mode.  Right click on the set-up program and select compatibility with Xp. They usually work

5. Application Issues

a.  Identify your important must have program to install.

b. Install then and if they fail. Use compatibility mode as mentioned above.

c. If installation succeed but they fail to execute then select the main.exe of the program  and set the compatibility again. Mostly now they will work.

d. Some program have program patches posted at Vista Update or manufatcurer website. Download and apply them

e. Remember some program require .NET to install and work properly.  If you check .NET presence it say it is present (b5384.4). Ignore it and install .Net 1.1 and sp1 of it. Reboot and then

Proceed with the installation of .net based programs

I advice use 1.1 not 2.0 of .Net

ATI catalyst upto 6.7 also requires 1.1

Conclusion

Incidently there have been no BSOD for me during the installation.  I have most of my programs running well under Vista.  Some hardware do not have all the features enabled but I can live with that as Vista is not my main OS.

I can add more but it is hardware software specific so let us leave it a general one  

Happy Vista computing!!!

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:46 AM

Answers

• Sorry I missed the following. Include:

2. HDD Drivers

a. BIOS setting should be correct for the controller as well i.e., RAID, AHCI or IDE/PATA.

b.  IDE HDD requires no driver at this stage

3. Installation

a. The Vista partition should at least be 16GB in size.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 9:17 AM

All replies

• Sorry I missed the following. Include:

2. HDD Drivers

a. BIOS setting should be correct for the controller as well i.e., RAID, AHCI or IDE/PATA.

b.  IDE HDD requires no driver at this stage

3. Installation

a. The Vista partition should at least be 16GB in size.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 9:17 AM
  • More precisely, it requires 15GB FREE space so if you're doing an in-place upgrade you may have space issues. You can resolve this by re-partitioning with some of the common tools available as they gain support for Vista or by deleting programs or files.
    Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:07 AM
  • Offcourse it requires 15GB as mentioned. But what if due to some reason it requires more than that? Does anybody wants the setup to fail at that stage.  What harm is there to size it a little more.
    Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:44 AM