How do I remove an unwanted server from the console window? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, hope someone can help, as I'm rapidly running out of hair to pull out :-(

I have one upstream server, set up perfectly on Windows Server 2012, and six downstream servers all running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. Five of my downstreams are set up and working as expected, but one is behaving a little strangely.

Here is an example of one of my downstream servers which is configured correctly:

Just showing the upstream server, as you would expect.

Now here's my problem downstream server:

As you can see, not only does it list the upstream server, as expected, it also shows itself as a server. I have tried right-clicking it and choosing 'Remove from Console', but it just comes back after closing and reopening the console.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Carl...

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:33 AM

All replies

• I'm a little confused, it sounds like you're opening the WSUS console on a server and it's showing itself in the console? If that's what you're saying, it sounds like a reasonable behavior to be expected. What is the scenario where you would ONLY want to see the upstream server and not the local server?

Thanks,
    Ben

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:20 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, the "Local Server" appears in the downstream server, would you please let me know if there is any impact when the local server appears here?

Did you try to reboot this server to see if the same issue?

Best Regards,

Jason Zeng

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:07 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. 4 of my downstream servers only display the upstream server in the WSUS console, the other downstream server displays the upstream server, and also itself in the WSUS console.

I may have (wrongly) assumed that you should only see the upstream server in the WSUS console of a downstream server.

Can anyone clarify what I should expect to see?

Many thanks for taking the time to reply,

Carl...

Friday, October 3, 2014 8:16 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply. Lets say we have the following servers:

ServerUP1

ServerDOWN1

ServerDOWN2

ServerDOWN3

ServerDOWN4

ServerDOWN5

I don't think I need to explain which one is the upstream ;-)

On all downstream servers, except ServerDOWN4 only the ServerUP01 is seen in the WSUS console. On ServerDOWN4, you can see ServerUP01 and ServerDOWN04 in the WSUS console.

Is this normal?

Thanks again for your reply,

Carl...

Friday, October 3, 2014 8:23 AM
  • On all downstream servers, except ServerDOWN4 only the ServerUP01 is seen in the WSUS console. On ServerDOWN4, you can see ServerUP01 and ServerDOWN04 in the WSUS console.

Is this normal?

No, and the short answer here is that apparently the consoles were configured to connect to the wrong server, and on 'DOWN4', TWO servers were configured in the console.

But here's a more significant question....

Why, on WS2012 and WS2008R2 servers are you using the standalone console anyway? If you use SERVER MANAGER, which is the expected behavior, the *LOCAL* server will be automatically displayed.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

I did a test in my local environment. On the downstream server, only the local downstream server's name appears.

So, in your environment, there may be something wrong with ServerDown4 if it has the same configuration with other 3 servers.

E.g.,  on ServerDown4, we should only see ServerDown4 appears in the console.

Would you please let me know the type of the downstream server? Autonomous mode or Replica mode?

Best Regards,

Jason Zeng

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Best Regards,

Jason Zeng

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:03 PM