none
Will the Bulk Import tool import Projects and Tasks or just Projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a client that is migrating to Project Server 2010 but has 300 projects in another system.  They can provide a csv file of project data and tasks.  I can easily import that into a SharePoint List to use the Bulk Import tool.  Having never used the tool I wanted to know if those who have, have been able to import all the tasks and if you could explain how it works. 

For example do I need a WBS field in order to ensure summary and subuortinate tasks fall in line?  Do I need dependency information to ensure tasks dependencies are setup properly.  If the Bulk Import tool just imports the data then I'd need to go back through all the projects to ensure tasks and dependencies are setup for the project to really be migrated. 

Any details on this would be a big help.

Thanks

Donz

Donald R. Landry
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

The Bulk Import solution starter simply imports projects and all associated project fields, not tasks unfortunately! 

It simply starts a new project for each so whatever template you have associated with your EPT will be used for each project.

I imagine for such a "migration" some other method would be needed, for example you can import into MS Project individual projects from various sources such as CSV, that might give you a procedure to import your projects. (Albeit a manual one)

HTH,

Martin Laukkanen (Project Server Blog - www.nearbaseline.com/blog)
    Friday, January 20, 2012 1:24 AM