Aero Interface becomes disabled in build 7100 x64 version of W7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed W7 onto a new Core i7 system running an ATI Radeon HD4870.  The system is definitely capable of running aero, and successfully does, until I power off.  Once the machine starts again I am reverted back to the Windows Basic interface.  I have installed the latest drivers from ATI (version 8.620.0.0), the latest version of Directx, switched themes, checked the advanced display settings, restarted the themes service and even tried re-assessing my Windows Experience Index.

My Windows Experience Index is as follows:
    7.4 (Processor)
    7.4 (RAM)
    6.0 (Gfx)
    6.0 (Gaming Gfx)
    5.9 (HDD)

Analysing the issue within Windows does not identify why Aero is not working. 

Uninstalling and re-installing the drivers allows the Aero interface to continue working for that session (though after the rigamarole of re-booting). A system restore to an earlier point (regardless of the changes after that point) gives the same result.

Does anyone know a fix to this issue?

Thanks.

Monday, June 22, 2009 11:46 AM

Answers

• I suspect that you have installed any incompatible driver update for the display adapter. You may try to roll back the driver and check the result again. If the issue persists, please remove the current driver, and reinstall it.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, July 13, 2009 10:20 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:43 AM

All replies

• You may change the color theme to Windows Aero from Control Panel\Personalize manually. 

However, if Aero is not available, any of the following reasons can cause this issue.

1. The hardware, such as a video card or its driver, does not meet the requirements.

Please check that your computer meets the minimum hardware requirements for running Aero:

• 1-gigahertz (GHz) 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    • 1 gigabyte (GB) of random access memory (RAM)
    • 128-megabyte (MB) graphics card

Aero also requires a DirectX 9 class graphics processor that supports a Windows Display Driver Model Driver, Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware, and 32 bits per pixel.

For best results, you might also want to follow these graphics processor recommendations:

• 64 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor with a resolution that is less than 1,310,720 pixels (for example, a 17–inch flat panel LCD monitor that has a 1280 × 1024 resolution)

• 128 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor with a resolution from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels (for example, a 21.1–inch flat panel LCD monitor that has up to a 1600 × 1200 resolution)

• 256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor with a resolution greater than 2,304,000 pixels (for example, a 30–inch wide-screen flat panel LCD monitor that has up to a 2560 × 1600 resolution)

2. The color settings are set below 32 bit.
    3. The monitor refresh frequency is set too low.
    4. The Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager service (UxSms) is not running.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:31 AM
  • The graphic card is not compatible with Aero!
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:58 PM
  • Thanks Arthur,

To elaborate on your answer, the computer is well in excess of the minimum specs, so this is not an issue.  The Graphics Card Memory has 512Mb Memory, so should easily support the resolution.

Colour settings are correct.

Monitor Refresh rate is 60Hz, the standard for LCD Displays and would expect a much bigger issue for all testers should this be the cause.  There is also no other option.

The Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager service is running without issue.

The confusing bit is that Aero runs after a re-install of the latest drivers until the PC is restarted.

Cheers.

Monday, June 29, 2009 9:59 AM
  • The graphic card is not compatible with Aero!

I have installed W7 onto a new Core i7 system running an ATI Radeon HD4870.

Radeon HD 4870 is a king of graphics card for now, why it would not support Aero? Of course it supports Aero.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 10:15 AM
  • I suspect that you have installed any incompatible driver update for the display adapter. You may try to roll back the driver and check the result again. If the issue persists, please remove the current driver, and reinstall it.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, July 13, 2009 10:20 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:43 AM