Backing up custom labels in Word 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• In Word 2003 you could backup custom labels you created by going to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Custom Labels and just backing up that key.  I am not able to find anything similar in Word 2013.  I am sure it is just something that I am missing or the verbage I am using in my search, but I can not find any information on how to back up Custom labels.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.    
    Friday, March 7, 2014 2:56 PM

Answers

• I believe the custom label definitions are now stored in an XML file called pg_custom.xml .

Here, (Win8.1) this file is in c:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office where "myusername" is a username constructed by Windows.

I do not know what else might be stored in this file. If it's just the label definitions, you should be able to copy that file. If it's other stuff as well, you may need to be careful just to copy the chunks of the file that pertain to labels.

I don't see this information in the registry either, but it's possible that it is now stored in a binary format key somewhere.

Peter Jamieson

• Marked as answer by Capehart Monday, March 10, 2014 12:56 PM
    Saturday, March 8, 2014 10:10 AM

All replies

• I believe the custom label definitions are now stored in an XML file called pg_custom.xml .

Here, (Win8.1) this file is in c:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office where "myusername" is a username constructed by Windows.

I do not know what else might be stored in this file. If it's just the label definitions, you should be able to copy that file. If it's other stuff as well, you may need to be careful just to copy the chunks of the file that pertain to labels.

I don't see this information in the registry either, but it's possible that it is now stored in a binary format key somewhere.

Peter Jamieson

• Marked as answer by Capehart Monday, March 10, 2014 12:56 PM
    Saturday, March 8, 2014 10:10 AM
  • This is a correct path for Windows 7 as well, I looked through the file and it had nothing in there for me besides label definitions.  Copied it from one user to another with no problems.  Thank you for your assistance.
    Monday, March 10, 2014 12:57 PM