none
Timesheet actuals vs MS Project actuals - problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have MSP 2010 with latest CU applied (June 2012 CU)

I’m using SEM. Tracking method: Hours of work done per period withForce project managers to use the progress reporting method specified above for all projects” option marked.

I also have marked Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets

My tasks are manually scheduled. I’m reporting my hours using timesheet view.

If I understand those settings correctly any actual work changes, % Complete changes will be prohibited – am I right?

I’m asking this question because I have problem with replacing timesheet actuals with planned values and I’m not able to correct those problems easily.

Maybe someone have this same problem? When I’m trying to delete replaced actuals (+accept and publish) they come up again when I delete my timesheet.

This is old problem and after each CU I’m praying for a solution but I have still the same problems.

Please help J

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hi there. Have I got the situation right?  You are publishing a project, actual work entries (per time period) are being entered by team members into PWA timesheets and submitted. The project manager accepts these updates - and then tries to change the scheduled work for the days where actuals have just been accepted.

This looks like a back-to-front process. The purpose of the Only allow updates via Tasks and Timesheets is intended as just that - the work for the reported days is treated as 'protected actuals' and should not be changed.

Graham

Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:34 AM
  • Team members report their activities via timesheet view + send status. Managers accept these updates + publish.

Looking on timesheet everything is fine but on OLAP cube there is couple days more or less. I see those hours as an Actual work when I open resource utilization view in MS Project application but those hours wasn’t reported by me!

Then (what is normal is such situation) when I delete my timesheet and create them again the number of hours will be different (of course not for all tasks and not for all projects). It looks like someone changing %complete (but I’m not sure of that) but when I have Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets option enabled there is no option to do this? Am I right? Then why still something is wrong?

I have fresh example

after

• Edited by MSPUser Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:48 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:47 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification. A couple of observations and questions:

• You need to be careful and aware of when and in what order different updates occur - for instance OLAP cube creation, updating the actuals from the timesheet, publishing the project from Project Professional.
      • Are team members using PWA My Work: Timesheet to enter actuals?
      • What happens in Project Professional when the project manager accepts the updates? What happens to the actuals for that rogue task? One thing to check is whether the status of the task in Project Pro is preventing the new actuals from the Timesheet from being applied.

Graham

Friday, October 5, 2012 1:34 PM
  • Are you by chance reporting time on fixed duration tasks?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:11 AM
  • This is screen of problematic task properties:

As you see I have Fixed units task types

@GMcH : team members report their hours using PWA My Timesheet view (what is a differences between timesheet and work?). When I change wrong values to proper and manager approve my update nothing will change.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:32 AM
  • OK, so you're reporting time against manually scheduled tasks. Do you have Service Pack one installed? Is there a reason why you're using Manually scheduled task instead of Automatically scheduled tasks?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:54 AM
  • I have 14.0.6117.5002 version that means that I have February 2012 CU installed (of course also SP is included?).

I don’t remember any problem with automatic scheduling then I think I can use AS if it will help me.

Against manually scheduled tasks - what that means? I think most tasks in my company are scheduled in this way.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Hi Gary,

What you think about my problem? Can I resolve this case somehow?

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:57 AM