4GB not supported!?! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

could someone tell me if windows vista 32bit supports 4GB of memory?

Usually 32 bit OS should support up to 4GB of phisical memory.

I use XP 32bit and i have available only 2.5GB

Vista 32bit 2.5GB

XP 64bit 4GB

It seems that vista it is affected by the same bug of XP. Microsoft tech center said that XP has a bug if u use 4GB.
    No one has an answer, microsoft included... Help

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 9:23 AM

Answers

• 32bit OS'es only will recognize the first 4 GB's of memory regardless of who made the operating system.  It has to do with how 32 bit operating systems allocate and address memory.  That includes VIRTUAL MEMORY.  If you go into the advanced options of your computer properties, you can set the ammount of virtual memory that windows uses.  In your case, if you have 4GB of memory installed on your computer, you will need to completely disable your virtual memory before windows xp or vista 32 bit will allocate and read all 4 gigs.  Make sure you reboot your computer so windows has a chance to readdress the memory.

Just a side note, if you have a 64 bit processor, I would reccommend moving to 64 bit vista or windows xp 64 bit.  The emulation environments for 32 bit software are very good. 

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 3:49 PM

All replies

• 32bit OS'es only will recognize the first 4 GB's of memory regardless of who made the operating system.  It has to do with how 32 bit operating systems allocate and address memory.  That includes VIRTUAL MEMORY.  If you go into the advanced options of your computer properties, you can set the ammount of virtual memory that windows uses.  In your case, if you have 4GB of memory installed on your computer, you will need to completely disable your virtual memory before windows xp or vista 32 bit will allocate and read all 4 gigs.  Make sure you reboot your computer so windows has a chance to readdress the memory.

Just a side note, if you have a 64 bit processor, I would reccommend moving to 64 bit vista or windows xp 64 bit.  The emulation environments for 32 bit software are very good. 

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 3:49 PM
  • Great response! And the compatibility manager in RC1 is excellent and can usually get any XP software to install/ work in vista.
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006 5:11 PM
  • ok so i am having the same problem. heres the catch i have removed the page file/vertual memory. i am running windows xp pro  and still wont read the memory even aftera reboot.  so i dont understand why it wont read all 4gb.  i have a legal copy of windows 64 bitediton but have lost the key for it so it in a sence is usless. i am not ready to switch to vista just yet. so is there any other options to try before having to format and install windows again.
    thanks in advanced
    Monday, October 16, 2006 7:29 PM
  • The 4GB is only for Windows Vista Home Premium and Ultimate with 64-bit systems only.
    Friday, October 27, 2006 2:16 AM
  • I have just got a new motherboard "Asus Crosshair" and four 1gb DDR II 800 and also Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

But i have also the same problem. As soon as I use 4gb memory vista just reboots before i even come to loginpage in vista to enter the password. But if I remove one of the memory´s the computer works fine again. It doesnt matter what memory I remove and there is nothing wrong with em.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:49 PM
  • After you upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the amount of memory that is reported in the System Properties dialog box or by the System Information tool (Msinfo32.exe) has changed. This symptom occurs if the following conditions are true:

Your Windows XP-based computer has 4 or more gigabytes (GB) of RAM.
    Your Windows XP-based computer is using Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode.

For example, before you upgrade to Windows XP SP2, the System Properties dialog box may report approximately 3.87 GB of RAM. The System Information tool may report that the total physical memory is approximately 3,540.00 megabytes (MB). After you upgrade to Windows XP SP2, the System Properties dialog box may report approximately 3.12 GB of RAM, and the System Information tool may report that the total physical memory is approximately 2,770.00 MB.

PAE mode is enabled by adding the /pae parameter to your Boot.ini file in the root folder of your system drive.

Monday, June 4, 2007 5:30 PM
  •  

But u do have a patch to that u need to install

plz download from the following link...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=240AC3F3-2B60-4B70-B709-06B2BC5B1336&displaylang=en

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 8:49 PM
  • I currently have Vista Ultimate 64-Bit and i have 4 gig of ram in my mobo and vista is only showing 3070. I also looked in the bios and it shows 4096 installed and 3072 usable....whats that mean and where did the other gig go?

Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:44 PM
  •  

Also it should be noted that with 64 bit Vista  or xp OS, if your motherboard and hardware suport it you can go above  4 GB of ram and go all the way up to 128 GB of ram...but thats becoming a server computer of awesome doom then isn't it...lol
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 5:48 AM
  •  

The second your system reads one byte above 4 GB it will not read correctly....you must have exactly 4 GB or below... just FYI
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 5:49 AM
  • Modern 32 bit OS's can indeed address more than 4GB by creating multiple user spaces.  However, the base OS is still limited by its functional programming and the hardware it is installed on.  I.E. a 32 bit processor can't run a 64 bit OS, nor can it address more than the original 4GB of memory.  A 64 bit processor running a 32 bit OS should be able to address more than 4 GB of memory, however I am not sure if XP or Vista support that. 

Unfortunately, we are nearing the useful end of the 32 bit OS lifetime.  Most modern apps don't hit the 2GB user space barrier yet, but some do such as Supreme Commander and Solidworks 2008.  In an unmodified 32 bit OS, the programs that reach that barrier will simply crash.  There are some modifications that can be done to the kernel space of windows XP, but they just delay the inevitable.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:37 AM