Windows Disk Protection installation was not successful. RRS feed

• Question

• hello to every1,

i have windows xp (SP3) with all updates and windows steady state installed. works fine. now i want the same installation on a different pc.

after i cloned the pc. windows xp (SP3) did not start anymore. so i reinstalled windows with all updates. (typing R on third point of installation)
    now the pc works perfect again. after that i tried to get the the windows disk protection back on. but it only tells me "Windows Disk Protection installation was not successful."

cloning that way worked the past years perfect with the shared computer toolkit.

the eventlog doesn't tell me anything. and searching the forum didn't bring my further ether.

i would appreaciate any help.

kniggi

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:22 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi kniggi, we need to make sure Windows Disk Protection is turned off before cloning. If WDP is not turned off before cloning, you may need to re-clone it. Meanwhile, you can also check the solutions in the following thread:

Turning on Disk Protect always results in "Corrupted Cache File" error

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1997310&SiteID=69&mode=1

Hope this helps!

Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:03 AM
  • hello sean,

WDP was disabled before cloning.on the machine i cloned from, i can turn WDP on, but not on the second machine.

are there any logfiles which could tell me more?

Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:47 PM
  •  

Currently, there is no such log file for research. I suggest you try the solutions in the above thread and let me know the result. Thank you.

Friday, September 12, 2008 3:20 AM
  •  KniggiSiggi wrote:
    hello sean,

WDP was disabled before cloning.on the machine i cloned from, i can turn WDP on, but not on the second machine.

are there any logfiles which could tell me more?

Oh man was there a resolution to the problem? Sad

I am getting an EXACT same problem Sad
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:15 AM
  • I just tried cloning from another computer.

I made sure that disk protection was off and restarted once again after it was off to be sure.

Same thing happened.

The original pc could turn on WDP, but no the cloned second computer.... damn pissed... so much time wasted.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:01 AM
  • Ok this was a long shot.

I reinstalled steady state on the cloned computer and it managed to protect the HDD...

It makes little sense, but it worked... @#$%^& waste my time Sad
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:44 AM
  • I also am trying to clone additional computers.

Because the previous person said reinstalling steady state solved their problem, I also tried that.  However when I try to reinstall, I get the message that it is already installed.

Okay, I say repair, I get the message that that can only be done on a computer that has it installed.

Okay, I try uninstall and I get the message that can only be done on a computer that has it installed.

Is it installed or not installed.  It can't be both ways.

Any other suggestions on what I might try?  I know I can go back to my image that doesn't have steady state installed and install it on each computer and I am only working with five computer so that is probably the direction I will go, but disk protections is off and I am not able to clone.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:34 PM