Task Split in MS Project 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a task A of duration 4 months in MS Project 2007 and i have a resource assigned to that task.

That resource is not going to work completely on Task A itself, he is also working on some other tasks.

i.e. He will be working only 2hrs per day for the first month of task A and remaining 6hrs on some other tasks, similarly 3hrs on second month on task A and remaining 5hrs on some other tasks.

Can we split a single task like this? or Is there anyother way to implement this?

As in the above example, for the first month the resource should see in his pwa only 2hrs of work allocated to him not 8hrs.

K.Gokulraj

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:44 PM

Answers

• K.Gokulraj,

It sounds like you want a fixed duration task of 4 months, so make the task of fixed duration type. Assign your resource and manually contour his/her work content, via the Resource Usage view or Task Usage view, to be 2 hrs/day the first month and 3 hrs/day starting the second month. You don't mention what happens the 3rd and 4th month, but you can contour the resource's work as necessary. Note: this will not be a split task. In Project a split task has a specific definition, namely, a task that starts, stops, then starts again some time later.

I have no idea how this will look in PWA since I don't use PWA.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:24 PM