Print Jobs Freezing and blocking all other print Jobs. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i have a print server on Server 2008 R2.  I have a group of people in the local office using this print server and i have a group of people using the server while connecting to the network wirelessly from miles away.  They use Wireless radios to relay back to the office.  The problem i am having is some times the people printing from out of the office have there print jobs freeze and block all other print jobs in the que.  I can't restart the print spooler because then all other jobs which are usually a ton are deleted.  I need to some how have a script that will restart the jobs in the que every 10 to 15 minutes untill i can restart the spooler at the end of the day.  If anyone knows how to do this or has a better solution i'm all ears.  Thanks
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:06 PM

Answers

• First thing is configure the shares to not schedule the job until the data is completely spooled to the server

Printer properties, Advanced, Start printing after the last page is spooled.

If the jobs take a long time to completely despool to the server other users can print during this time.

Script Center on technet has samples for queue control

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/site/search?f%5B0%5D.Type=RootCategory&f%5B0%5D.Value=printing

or use the tools included with the product

\windows\system32\printing_admin_scripts\en-us\prnjobs.vbs

Usage: prnjobs [-zmxl?] [-s server][-p printer][-j jobid][-u user name][-w password]

Arguments:
    -j     - job id
    -l     - list all jobs
    -m     - resume the job
    -p     - printer name
    -s     - server name
    -u     - user name
    -w     - password
    -x     - cancel the job
    -z     - pause the job
    -?     - display command usage

Examples:
    prnjobs -z -p printer -j jobid
    prnjobs -l -p printer
    prnjobs -l

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

• Marked as answer by GOE Josh Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:55 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:31 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• First thing is configure the shares to not schedule the job until the data is completely spooled to the server

Printer properties, Advanced, Start printing after the last page is spooled.

If the jobs take a long time to completely despool to the server other users can print during this time.

Script Center on technet has samples for queue control

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/site/search?f%5B0%5D.Type=RootCategory&f%5B0%5D.Value=printing

or use the tools included with the product

\windows\system32\printing_admin_scripts\en-us\prnjobs.vbs

Usage: prnjobs [-zmxl?] [-s server][-p printer][-j jobid][-u user name][-w password]

Arguments:
    -j     - job id
    -l     - list all jobs
    -m     - resume the job
    -p     - printer name
    -s     - server name
    -u     - user name
    -w     - password
    -x     - cancel the job
    -z     - pause the job
    -?     - display command usage

Examples:
    prnjobs -z -p printer -j jobid
    prnjobs -l -p printer
    prnjobs -l

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

• Marked as answer by GOE Josh Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:55 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:31 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks i'll try the scheduleing properties and see if that works thanks again:)
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:42 PM
  • What printers / drivers are you seeing the freezing on?

We see the exact same issues when we spool jobs going to konica bizhubs.

Friday, February 24, 2012 4:08 PM